Is my cockerel gaping or adjusting his crop or inhibiting his desire to crow?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I have a nearly 6 month old cockerel who is very friendly and likes to sit on my lap. When he’s sleepy, he’ll frequently adjust his crop, repeatedly, like maybe once every few minutes. Way more than any other bird I’ve noticed.

He only does it when he is first settling down to nap. Often times I think he’s about to crow, but he doesn’t. He’ll usually stand up, stretch out his neck, then take a big breath. Since he’s super spoiled and even occasionally wanders into the house *gasp* I’ve joked to my husband that he’s using his inside voice when he does this neck stretching behavior

I don’t notice this behavior when he’s ranging in the yard. I don’t notice it when he’s being active, eating, or when he does go on a crowing spree. It doesn’t seem connected to whether or not he’s recently eaten. He has no symptoms of illness. I don’t have a video yet, but included photos of him because I’m an oversharer.

He is my only lap chicken. Is this just normal nappy-time behavior for all birds, and I’ve never observed it? Or should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 8
If he was doing the neck stretching thing more than just when on your lap or in your house, then I'd be concerned there could be a worm issue, but given his age, he might just not be a proficient crower yet.

If he starts doing that when outside and in other circumstances, then try get a video so someone can help you determine if there is indeed an issue.

Back
Top Bottom