Odd Rooster Doesn’t Crow

RLynn

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
I have a very odd RIR Rooster. Technically he is still a cockerel ( about 8-9 months old). When we first got him at 12 weeks old he was a big scaredy-cat towards my hens. They would not go after him but if they barely moved in any direction he would take off in the opposite direction. Now that he is older he does what roosters do, watch over the flock and mate them. He’s just odd because he has yet to crow outside! He crowed a couple times inside when we had him isolated for a leg injury 4 months ago, but once we moved him back outside he’s been silent. He’s super sweet but I was wondering if he’ll crow? I love the sound of roosters, so I’m hoping maybe he’s a late bloomer? He’s not sick, injured, or being bullied at all. Is this normal for some Roosters?

Do you have a lot of hawks /predators ? Because my rooster will occasionally go quiet 🤫 if he sees toooooo many hawks / predators

My cockerel is at least 7 months old and we’ve only heard him crow once or twice. Other than that he hardly does anything, I have another rooster who might be making him unmotivated but he’s still oddly quiet. There can be super late bloomers or they just don’t feel the need to- I wouldn’t worry too much about it

I have 2, 21-week old RIR roosters. One is this big “tough guy” rooster who thinks he’s the boss. The other is this really sweet smaller guy who is totally submissive, so submissive he literally goes and curls up in nesting boxes. And if Goat, the “tough guy”, wants a hen that Lucky, the sweet guy, is breeding (which he doesn’t do very much), Lucky will dismount and let Goat do his thing.

Goat crows just fine. He was actually the first to start crowing, and because of the noises he made when he first attempted to crow, we named him Goat. Lucky, on the other hand, it took awhile. Only recently has he made noises that are definitely him crowing, but they sound nothing like his brother. He rarely crows too.

So yeah, it’s normal for some roos. In my case, im suspicious is a testosterone deficiency or chromosomal disorder, although he was the first we knew was a rooster.

I had a rooster who didn't crow for a long time. My guess was when ever roosters would crow they would get the ax, so the non-crowers started to breed before the crow, well the one waited along time before crowing, but finally did, as everyone told me he would. Eventually.

I have 2, 21-week old RIR roosters. One is this big “tough guy” rooster who thinks he’s the boss. The other is this really sweet smaller guy who is totally submissive, so submissive he literally goes and curls up in nesting boxes. And if Goat, the “tough guy”, wants a hen that Lucky, the sweet guy, is breeding (which he doesn’t do very much), Lucky will dismount and let Goat do his thing.

Goat crows just fine. He was actually the first to start crowing, and because of the noises he made when he first attempted to crow, we named him Goat. Lucky, on the other hand, it took awhile. Only recently has he made noises that are definitely him crowing, but they sound nothing like his brother. He rarely crows too.

So yeah, it’s normal for some roos. In my case, im suspicious is a testosterone deficiency or chromosomal disorder, although he was the first we knew was a rooster.
I have a rooster who is very docile. He is about one year old and never mounts the hens. Additionally , I have only heard him crow twice. He is afraid of me a d keeps his distance. Very odd behavior.

Back
Top Bottom