Show me your duck pools/ponds!

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I have 2 pekins that are about 4 weeks old and have outgrown the turtle sand box I have been using for them. Can yall show pics of your set ups? I've been looking at kiddie pools but I need to figure out how they will get in and out. Thank you so much 🥰 PS I promise I clean their pool out everyday. Lol
20230730_172446.jpg

This is how I have it set up atm. Still trying to find a way that’s easier for them to get in and out. They are definitely growing out of the pool but we have a lake down the road that I take them too a couple times a week.

Attachments

• AF4FD65C-04F1-4C63-8178-0F12B8EF06D0.jpeg
    AF4FD65C-04F1-4C63-8178-0F12B8EF06D0.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 91430EAF-C7CB-45B0-A4AD-2193DDE89CD5.jpeg
    91430EAF-C7CB-45B0-A4AD-2193DDE89CD5.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 18
I started with the kiddie pool and you can see I made a ramp and also blocks for getting in and out - mine were clumsy so I made "railings" on the sides of the ramp. In their run we got a little pool and it drains outside. We later added the larger in ground pool which drains into a drainage hole at the end of the yard. It's a lot of cleaning, but worth it!

Attachments

• 20230703_081434.jpg
    20230703_081434.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 24
I use kiddie pools and double them up so that the edge is firm not floppy. Then I build them steps with paver stones and bricks both inside and outside the pool ,, outside in two spots, and inside in one.

I also use a kiddie pool- for smaller ducks.

I set blocks of wood around it for easier access but they rarely use them.

It’s actually a little helpful....because if I see someone using the wood instead of hopping over the side.... I go make sure their feet are ok lol
It’s caught a few cases of bumblefoot early enough to not be a major problem over the last many years!

My next plan involves building a small deck for the pool, so I can install a larger pool with a drain and drain line to direct the gross water where I want it....
But my 5 Welsh Harlequins seem to be ok sharing a 42” pool, and that is as large as I want to go for the every day (or every other day) dump, rinse, and clean that I need to do.
I always have a spare in case it cracks while dumping it. You can’t find them in the winter! Learned that lesson the hard way 😕
The drain would allow for a larger and deeper option. With a proper drain, you could even go “whole hog” and build the frame for a koi pond and install all kinds of fun things like a recirculating pump/ waterfall, natural looking surroundings, etc.
But whatever you decide on, you need to be able to dump or drain, clean, and re fill regularly.
....I guess it comes down to a combination of your budget and construction abilities, and what you feel will be best for your Pekins between the two.
I look forward to seeing what you decide to do 😊

I'm currently using kiddie pools that I drain using a gravel vacuum from Walmart. But I'm getting really tired of them. I want the ducks to be able to swim and dive and anyway they're not big enough for my four geese. When we rent an excavator I am going to dig them out a pond, line it with a pool liner, and hope that it works and I didn't make a big hole for nothing!

Back
Top Bottom