Pics

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I am proposing this separate thread dedicated to showing off your DIY Pallet Projects and perhaps a little discussion on the topic of pallet projects. I know there are pics and posts about pallet projects here and there on the BYC forums, but some people suggested I start a dedicated thread to the subject so we can all share our pallet projects and maybe pass along some good idea for others.

I'll start off with a simple pallet project I built for the garden. It's a tool holder for hoes, rakes, shovels, etc.. I made one full length pallet to hold my longest handled tools, but I added another pallet cut down 3/4 size and 1/2 size for my shorter handled tools. I connected the pallets with some 2X4's long enough to fit my 5 gallon buckets between the pallets. What I like about this project is that it was super simple to make for a beginner. Secondly, I now have my tools all stored in one place instead of laying all over the garden. Third, the stand is light enough to move wherever I want, but heavy enough not to blow over in a good wind. Here's the pic...

1659406497264.jpeg

Here is what it looks like on the backside.

1659406578097.jpeg

Just a shout out to some people who I was talking to about pallet projects on the "What Did You Do In The Garden Today" thread. As much as I like that thread, it has so many posts per day that I can't pretend to keep up with it. Anyway, if you guys find this thread interesting, please post some pics, thoughts, or questions you may have about pallet projects for discussion.

@chickengr
@ChicksnMore
@Nodakj
@TJAnonymous

A few years ago, I made a compost bin (top left of pic) inside my chicken run. First the pic, then my thoughts.

1659407679450.jpeg

Originally, I thought it would be great to have a compost bin inside the chicken run where I could toss our kitchen scraps and the chickens could easily jump in and out to eat the treats. It's just a simple design using 4 pallets. I used one pallet each for the back and both sides. The front pallet was cut in half, which allows the chicken to easily jump in and out of the compost bin. I took the other half of the front pallet and placed it on top of the compost bin. It provides a high place to perch during the day, or to rest under its shade when it gets hot from the sun.

The chickens love to jump up and sit on the front pallet, up to the side pallets, and on top where the half pallet is lying. I was really happy with the concept because the chickens use it so much. As time went on, I turned my entire chicken run into a composting system, so the pallet compost bin is really not used for composting anymore. However, since the chickens love using it for sitting on, or hiding in the shade on a hot sunny day, I decided just to leave it in the run.

Other than cutting the one pallet in half, all I did was use scrap wood and screws to connect the pallets together to make the bin. Minimal effort, maximum use by the chickens.

I'm so glad you made this! I hope lots of people share all kinds of useful ideas😍
I am proposing this separate thread dedicated to showing off your DIY Pallet Projects and perhaps a little discussion on the topic of pallet projects. I know there are pics and posts about pallet projects here and there on the BYC forums, but some people suggested I start a dedicated thread to the subject so we can all share our pallet projects and maybe pass along some good idea for others.

I'll start off with a simple pallet project I built for the garden. It's a tool holder for hoes, rakes, shovels, etc.. I made one full length pallet to hold my longest handled tools, but I added another pallet cut down 3/4 size and 1/2 size for my shorter handled tools. I connected the pallets with some 2X4's long enough to fit my 5 gallon buckets between the pallets. What I like about this project is that it was super simple to make for a beginner. Secondly, I now have my tools all stored in one place instead of laying all over the garden. Third, the stand is light enough to move wherever I want, but heavy enough not to blow over in a good wind. Here's the pic...

View attachment 3208481

Here is what it looks like on the backside.

View attachment 3208485
I currently lean ally tools in a corner by one of our water tanks...I like your design...it's big enough to be useful.
A few years ago, I made a compost bin (top left of pic) inside my chicken run. First the pic, then my thoughts.

View attachment 3208511

Originally, I thought it would be great to have a compost bin inside the chicken run where I could toss our kitchen scraps and the chickens could easily jump in and out to eat the treats. It's just a simple design using 4 pallets. I used one pallet each for the back and both sides. The front pallet was cut in half, which allows the chicken to easily jump in and out of the compost bin. I took the other half of the front pallet and placed it on top of the compost bin. It provides a high place to perch during the day, or to rest under its shade when it gets hot from the sun.

The chickens love to jump up and sit on the front pallet, up to the side pallets, and on top where the half pallet is lying. I was really happy with the concept because the chickens use it so much. As time went on, I turned my entire chicken run into a composting system, so the pallet compost bin is really not used for composting anymore. However, since the chickens love using it for sitting on, or hiding in the shade on a hot sunny day, I decided just to leave it in the run.

Other than cutting the one pallet in half, all I did was use scrap wood and screws to connect the pallets together to make the bin. Minimal effort, maximum use by the chickens.
I did the pallet compost bins too...so easy and useful. I'd luv to hear how you do your compost now using the whole run.

I did the pallet compost bins too...so easy and useful. I'd luv to hear how you do your compost now using the whole run.

I have not included pics of my 5 bin pallet compost system. I had a tree fall on them and things look a little wonky right now. I'll have to fix that... someday.

Most of my compost comes from my chicken run. I simply dumped wood chips, grass clippings, and leaves in the run. The chickens do most of the job of mixing and turning over the run litter, breaking it down, and turning it into compost faster than what I get with my pallet compost bins.

The litter in my chicken run is about 16 inches deep at the moment. In the fall, when I dump in leaves from the lawn, it will be almost 2 feet deep. That will break down and compress over the winter. This spring, I had about 12 inches deep of litter in the run.

I harvest compost any time I want, now, because I have so much sitting in the run that I cannot use it all. Typically, I harvest the chicken run compost in the spring before planting and in late fall to throw the compost on the garden beds over winter.

I use my 5 pallet compost bins for overflow of material, or for anything organic that I don't want my chickens to eat - moldy, spoiled food, for example. Good for the compost bins, but not for the chickens to eat. I was pretty proud of my pallet compost bin build because I have a rail system in the front of each bin that I slide 2X4's or 2X6's into the slots and raise the front level as the bin fills up. But, like I said, I had a tree fall down on it and everything is out of wack. I don't waste any labor on the pallet compost bins in turning the piles. I just let them sit for a few years and then harvest the compost. Just a lazy method to compost, but I'm in no hurry due to all the compost I harvest from the chicken run.

I'm so glad you made this! I hope lots of people share all kinds of useful ideas😍

:clap Yes. Feel free to post any of your pallet projects and pics you want to share.

I am currently building some pallet planters for Dear Wife and will post pics of them in a few days. Finished 2 planters today and am waiting for Dear Wife to approve the designs, or not.

:lau :hit As you can imagine, first planter was too big, second planter was too small, so maybe I'll get it right on the third attempt.

Think I can picture what your talking about...I'll have to go stare at my bins tomorrow to see what I can do.
I've got a half wall in the front like your picture and that half walls been irritating me for years...lol. I do have to flip with my current set up.

I've been afraid of the deep litter method ever since my kid found a rattlesnake in one of the coops. So I haven't used it ever since. Any problems with mice or snakes where you are? And if so...how do you handle them?

I've been afraid of the deep litter method ever since my kid found a rattlesnake in one of the coops. So I haven't used it ever since. Any problems with mice or snakes where you are? And if so...how do you handle them?

We don't have poisonous snakes in Minnesota. I have seen a few mice running in the chicken coop, but they cannot get into the hanging feeder, so I don't worry much about them. I do have a live catch mouse catcher that I could use if they become a problem. I think it's called the Iron Cat or something like that.

If you have a problem with snakes, is it the deep litter that attracts them or is it just a hungry snake looking for eggs to eat? I would think a compost bin would be even a better hiding place for a snake. At least in the chicken run, or coop, the chickens would be busy turning up the litter all the time.

I guess if I had a problem with snakes, I would be using a very long handled pitchfork whenever I was messing around with compost or litter. Don't blame you for wanting to reduce potential nesting material for snakes.

Following! My coop is made of pallets, and I plan to build planters with the excess once the coop and run are finished.

:clap Fantastic! How about sharing a few pictures of your pallet coop build, along with a few words about what you think of the project? I would be interested in what works for you, but also the difficulties you encounter using pallet wood. I'm sure there are lots of new members who might be interested in a pallet coop build to save money, or just from the DIY'er experience.

:caf As to unexpected difficulties, for example, I am currently building planters, and my first 2 pallet planters have taught me a lot. I learned that I need to pay more attention to the dimensional size of the pallet lumber because, well frankly, a pallet 2X4 on one pallet may be thinner or thicker than another pallet. This led me to my second planter being out of square and I had to hand plane a few boards on a taper to make them fit. Never had the problem with store bought, uniform sized lumber. I will pass on that info again when I post the pictures of my pallet planters. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom