Show me your quail pens!!!

This is the grow-out pen. The floor & roof are 2 old pallets that I broke apart. The door latches are probably overkill. Though I did see a hawk hanging on the door with its talons and nothing bad happened. I had the pen in a different location then.

IMG_2991.jpg

I keep growouts inside, in a 3-tier wire floor cage with dropping trays. I also move my breeders into these cages for winter, mostly because I don’t want to deal with freezing water outside.
7AC8C640-3DC0-41F5-9BA9-F21EE819F8D3.jpeg

(I also occasionally use them to house silkies until they’re ready to move outside.)

Adults are in ground pens inside a poultry yard surrounded by electric poultry netting. Each pen holds either 1 male/6 females or 2 males/12 females. The house portion is 1’x2’ with an attached 2x10’ run. I use bucket feeders and automatic water cups gravity fed from a bucket.
AF89CCD6-6026-4C43-A933-39E83C0A286C.jpeg

Newbie here. Just chiming in. Since I just found a pic of my layer coops for an intro post, I’ll post it here while I know where it is. The enclosed part is sand floored. Between the guano rich sand and the guano from under the wire side, contaminated with sand and some food waste... I am accumulating quite a fertilizer pile.

Attachments

• 8A2BBDE3-279F-4B82-91E0-3221AAFA07E5.jpeg
    8A2BBDE3-279F-4B82-91E0-3221AAFA07E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • E90D521C-5535-4280-8898-9D62188F698E.jpeg
    E90D521C-5535-4280-8898-9D62188F698E.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 106
this is my pen, i have put up the green cover to keep them extra warm as my quails are only 3 weeks old.
the pen also has persex all around to keep out the wind and rain. also they do use a ladder, they all love going up and down the ladder all day long.
Nice setup, doesn’t look like they need the heat lamp at all.
I just realized that it’s 5 years old :confused: yes I stand by my statement, they don’t need the heat lamp anymore:old:lau

Last edited:
Reviving this thread into relevance again~

I've been using this coop for my 6 hens for the past few months now. It's been working quite well for them and wanted to share!

IMG_2412.JPG

It's a 42x28x30 in foldable dog crate that I wrapped 1/2 in hardware cloth to keep the rats out. I also installed a 1/2 in hardware cloth floor above the tray. The crate came with a divider which I suspended and use as a second solid floor. There's a nest box lined with moss and straw, on top is an astroturf mat that I spray down when it gets skanky. The ramp isn't necessary; the quail are fine to just hop up to the second floor, but they prefer the ramp so I keep it in. The ramp is just some wood with hardware cloth stapled onto it for traction.

The coop is in their aviary and suspended off the ground by a couple of saw-horses. They fly out on their own, but when it's bed time I put them into the coop by hand.

It's got 13 square feet total so the hens are OK to be in there all day for those times when I'm too busy to let them out.

The tray makes cleaning hella easy. Just pulls right out and gets dumped into the compost pile. Then I scrape the bedding from the top floor onto the tray and add fresh stuff. Real simple.

I've been using this coop for my 6 hens for the past few months now. It's been working quite well for them and wanted to share!

View attachment 3058103

It's a 42x28x30 in foldable dog crate that I wrapped 1/2 in hardware cloth to keep the rats out. I also installed a 1/2 in hardware cloth floor above the tray. The crate came with a divider which I suspended and use as a second solid floor. There's a nest box lined with moss and straw, on top is an astroturf mat that I spray down when it gets skanky. The ramp isn't necessary; the quail are fine to just hop up to the second floor, but they prefer the ramp so I keep it in. The ramp is just some wood with hardware cloth stapled onto it for traction.

The coop is in their aviary and suspended off the ground by a couple of saw-horses. They fly out on their own, but when it's bed time I put them into the coop by hand.

It's got 13 square feet total so the hens are OK to be in there all day for those times when I'm too busy to let them out.

The tray makes cleaning hella easy. Just pulls right out and gets dumped into the compost pile. Then I scrape the bedding from the top floor onto the tray and add fresh stuff. Real simple.
I’m tickled to see this because I’m in the middle of doing that to some dog crates. Seeing that someone has proven it can work well is encouraging.

View attachment 3058103

Love this idea!

Back
Top Bottom