Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics

Cheap and easy, little setup

No offence, but I find these sort of cages cruel!
I am getting a stack of these in a few weeks. I dont ming them with coturnix as long as people stick to 1 sq ft per bird, but I also have bobwhite and scaled quail. I will only put them in these cages with the dividers taken out with only two birds per level. I have at least 4 sq ft per bird on these guys. right now they have 6 sq ft and some have 10 sq ft

I found someone with coturnix quail for sale not terribly far from me. I have been researching them for years on and off. i never seem to have a good space ready when i find them for sale though ):

so my question for all you wonderful quail people with such lovely pens....
i have rabbits that i breed and i could use one of the hutch sections for a few quail. it wouldn't be anything amazing but i would make it comfortable for them. the hutch section has a small nestbox and its fairly tall so i could add a shelf in it for more floor space. the wire is thick gauge and 1/2 by 1inch but i could put cardboard down with hay for them and i could do a small dustbath box for them to use.
the hutch section is about 20 by 20 inches plus nestbox is about 12 by 12 inches and as i said i could add a shelf in it and add floor space since its rather tall inside, which would add another about 10 by 20 inches.

would you all say that would be fine for a small breeding group? i want them for eggs mainly but want to keep a roo with them so later i can try incubating to expand the flock if i am able. i was thinking 1 roo and 3 hens? would that be an alright amount for the space or could i add another hen or two? i don't want to overdo it but i do want a few hens for the eggs.

right now the person has some 3wks old ready and will be setting another bunch mid april (put in mid april or hatching then, i don't recall at the moment) and i am hoping to get from the older ones because i have seriously limited space inside and cant have them in for long at all. but being i am in central Virginia and its still getting cold sometimes i will have to work on acclimatizing them to outside.

thanks!!! :)

I found someone with coturnix quail for sale not terribly far from me. I have been researching them for years on and off. i never seem to have a good space ready when i find them for sale though ):

so my question for all you wonderful quail people with such lovely pens....
i have rabbits that i breed and i could use one of the hutch sections for a few quail. it wouldn't be anything amazing but i would make it comfortable for them. the hutch section has a small nestbox and its fairly tall so i could add a shelf in it for more floor space. the wire is thick gauge and 1/2 by 1inch but i could put cardboard down with hay for them and i could do a small dustbath box for them to use.
the hutch section is about 20 by 20 inches plus nestbox is about 12 by 12 inches and as i said i could add a shelf in it and add floor space since its rather tall inside, which would add another about 10 by 20 inches.

would you all say that would be fine for a small breeding group? i want them for eggs mainly but want to keep a roo with them so later i can try incubating to expand the flock if i am able. i was thinking 1 roo and 3 hens? would that be an alright amount for the space or could i add another hen or two? i don't want to overdo it but i do want a few hens for the eggs.

right now the person has some 3wks old ready and will be setting another bunch mid april (put in mid april or hatching then, i don't recall at the moment) and i am hoping to get from the older ones because i have seriously limited space inside and cant have them in for long at all. but being i am in central Virginia and its still getting cold sometimes i will have to work on acclimatizing them to outside.

thanks!!! :)
Plain, featureless rabbit hutches work beautifully with coturnix, but if your willing to do the other stuff, then more power to you! And yes a quad(1 roo, 3 hens) would work in that cage

Terrific :D
I will be adding things for them because I want healthy happy birds and good eggs. And with what I have read some about very active roos I think the hens would like the chance to get away a bit if he got overbearing.

Back
Top Bottom