Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
Actually, I only raised quail for about a year and then sold my housing unit. I never had a problem that I know of, but there is no reason why they need to have so much head room.

Schroeder, I picked up supplies today to begin the structure. Can I ask how deep you made yours? And does it seem adequate. I want to know how long I need to cut the pieces that go between the front uprights, I assume are 2x4's. That's what I got anyway. Got my angles cut for the roof, not as steep as yours, and got my casters on the bottoms of the legs today.
I bought 1/4" hardware cloth for the floors and 1/2" coated for the sides. I think this is going to be great.
It's nice and cool here in Michigan, very overcast and breezy.

Here is mine, it's a repurposed rabbit hutch. 3'x8' with a removable divider, small nest boxes on the back. It is HEAVY, takes at least 4 people to move it. I had to change out some boards that the rabbits had chewed and added plywood to the two ends but that's about it.

Ok it's about time I show you my indoor quail enclosure. :) This is deep litter bedding method with 3 quail per cage currently. Though butchering time will be coming up soon so most the males will be taken out. I'll keep 1 male for the system (maybe 2), but the rest will be laying females. This is pretty much an egg only production. Though I plan to set 3-4 eggs every week (maybe every 2 weeks). This should give me 3-4 birds to butcher a week/biweekly once they get going (top cage will be dedicated to meat birds only).

The waterers in this photo aren't the current ones, I use the cup waterers instead.

Last edited:
I just thought I would share my setup as it is for now. I do have bigger plans but it is hard to get supplies here. It is small but I think it addresses their needs.
Again, new to quail but to me they looked content.
Here is a video I uploaded. I hope it works.

0.jpg

Last edited:
This is actually 2, 30" x 8' pens, back to back. I set up 1" square wire dividers that hinge off the back so I can swing them in place and zip tie them when I need to separate birds into smaller groups. I can run it as 6 roughly 30"x 30" pens and still have a door for each.... One thing you have to keep in mind when building pens.You must always be able to reach the back of it.... no matter what you put in it, it will run to the back when you need to catch it! I always try to my the doors big enough to squeeze my shoulders thru in a long pen for this reason. Good luck with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom