Show Me Your Runners

AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
Hi all, so I'm really curious to see the latest pictures of your Runners. Also what do you like best about them? How do they stack up against chickens and geese? What are some key takes you would pass to someone curious about getting started with them? Does anyone have Runners ranging with chickens, and geese? If so how does that play out?

I've got lots of space and everyone is kept separately, the geese can be bullies so hopefully the Runners live up to their name? I really enjoy how rich Pekin duck eggs are, do Runners produce hearty eggs too?

Just a few pictures lol. I have Muscovy Runners Buffs and a Cayuga the Runners are the life of the party they are busy,funny and the motto of Runners is, Where we go one we go all and they mean it Rarely do you see one by itself they single file follow each other everywhere. My goose has taken on motherhood of the 2 black drakes who are almost 8 months old. Their eggs to me are like large chicken eggs but I’m comparing them to Muscovy. IMG_2527.jpeg IMG_2544.jpeg IMG_2543.jpeg IMG_2538.jpeg IMG_2535.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    694.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 4
i keep my geese separate.
But I do have ducks and chickens together, 12 ducks,, three of which are runners. My two chickens boss around all the ducks they even boss my dog around. I have four different food stations. However, this runner wants to eat with the chickens so I made a cute video where she is just trying to get a bite of food out of the chickens dish but they run her off. I think it’s pretty funny if you care to see it here it is.

I have ten Runners and five chickens. This is my duck crew this morning. They free range with the chickens during the day, but have separate night time pens. I find the chickens and ducks very different creatures. The chickens are very sociable while the ducks are entertaining and always busy, but tend to maintain their distance. The chickens are a lot more destructive in the yard, scratching holes in the grass and displacing the mulch in the plant beds. The ducks just trample things. My chickens are big (Bielefelders) and intimidate the ducks, and the crows, so I have to find ways to distribute treats separately or the chix will greedily claim everything. I think what I like most about the ducks is the roar of quacking that greets me every morning when I open the pen, and when I give them a bowl of peas to close them in at night.

ducks_2790.jpg

I have ten Runners and five chickens. This is my duck crew this morning. They free range with the chickens during the day, but have separate night time pens. I find the chickens and ducks very different creatures. The chickens are very sociable while the ducks are entertaining and always busy, but tend to maintain their distance. The chickens are a lot more destructive in the yard, scratching holes in the grass and displacing the mulch in the plant beds. The ducks just trample things. My chickens are big (Bielefelders) and intimidate the ducks, and the crows, so I have to find ways to distribute treats separately or the chix will greedily claim everything. I think what I like most about the ducks is the roar of quacking that greets me every morning when I open the pen, and when I give them a bowl of peas to close them in at night.

View attachment 3745497
Oh! They are so cute!
Do you live in a dry climate (not much rain>?)
Because when it rains, ducks drill holes everywhere!!

Oh! They are so cute!
Do you live in a dry climate (not much rain>?)
Because when it rains, ducks drill holes everywhere!!
I live in western WA, on the Olympic Peninsula, lots of rain in winter but summers in my location are dry, The ducks do drill holes around the pools (see them in the picture!) but my soil is sand and gravel, rain drains without puddling, so they aren't drilling holes anywhere else. :)

Back
Top Bottom