Show Me Your Turkey Runs/coops/enclosures!

well, i have some old coups i am rebuilding right now, they are about 11 by 16. ill post some pictures of them before and after. For now one pen will be for some bantam chickens i am getting soon and an order of turkeys i should be getting in a few weeks, i cant wait, im so looking forward to it!! It will be the first time i am ordering turkeys, im getting burbon reds and slate blue's. 10 of each, i will thin them down ((fingers crossed)) to 2 toms and 3 hens for each group.

now as polts should i keep a heat lamp outside for them? i have a brooder 4 x 8 i can clean up for them and enclose fully if i have to. I live in south eastern GA, its in the 50s at night and 75+ during the day.

simplycreative

So I have a question for those who let their turkeys free-range and roost in trees. I just had BBWs last year, but I'm getting Bourbon reds soon. If they can fly and roost in trees, how do you catch them eventually to, um, do the deed? I mean, my fat BBWs followed me around for food and such, but if I reached for them they evaded my touch. Being fat and unable to fly I was able to catch them when I wanted to, but what happens with the "real" turkeys, that can easily keep away from me? I sort of made do with what I had coop-wise for the BBWs last year, but if I can have turkeys that don't need a coop and can hang out in trees, all the better.

I pen my turkeys at night in a converted dog kennel with a corrugated metal roof. I used to let them free range and roost in trees at night but then a bobcat or racoon (not sure which) killed one of my hens.

Quote:
Heritage turkeys will also follow you around for feed and such. They are harder to catch, but mine like to come right up to me. I train them that I carry food from a young age and they never stop believing it! I had some at first that roosted in the trees. Then sometimes they would roost on the fence. That became a problem due to foxes, and I lost some off of a 4.5 foot high fence during the night. Then I started shooing them into the chicken coop (I used 2 sticks to "herd" them which they do much easier than chickens). it took a lot of persistence, but they finally learned to go into the coop at night. Now with the babies, I start them sleeping indoors right away, at a young age, and they just follow the chickens in there. Much easier for me and less worry then when they slept outdoors, even though it was very cool.

I don't have a photo of the one the turkeys are in, but it's identical to this one but for the nest box being about twenty percent larger and the roosts further apart.

3217110640_2121083ebe.jpg

3216257345_93d6b63bcc.jpg

3216267433_5d9d284295.jpg

I have five White Midget hens and a tom in that tractor. Gets moved every day.

.....Alan.

i dont have a picture but i use a 12x16 shed with about a 400 square foot run on it all dog kennel pannels and i run two hot wires one along the bottom and one alon the top and i keep the top covered with a round bale tarp its big and heavy duty. the run also has a divider i lock the toms out when the hens are broody. they roost in the rafters.i use a 2x4 in 2 cinder blocks for roost outside. have hanging feeders and waterers and i let them nest wherever. i keep them locked up because i live on a small open lot with no trees just my step fathers ham radio tours and i cant have them roosting there.

Back
Top Bottom