Show me your..............

Wolfwoman

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Chickaloon, Alaska
Nesting boxes!!

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in egglaying...

Anyways, I am in the process of moving and will need to construct new nesting boxes. Am looking for possibly freestanding as the coop is going to be a dog kennel.

Any input is appreciated.

Here's a picture of my nesting boxes I built from scrap lumber. It's a 8 box cluster with a slanted board over the top to prevent roosting on top of the boxes, the slant top is hinged and I keep empty egg cartons there to collect the eggs in. The slanted fronts of the boxes is also hinged, so I can shut off the nest boxes when I have juveniles making the transition from floor to roost. Otherwise the Juveniles will try to roost in the boxes and foul them. I built this by "winging it" with no plans, just scrap and an idea of what I wanted to end up with. There are also little "egg doors" that I can open in the back of the boxes from outside for a reach in to obtain eggs rather then go in the coop. (For the Missus and wimpy kids, I go in the coop)

36435_gossiphens.jpg

64332_0720001644a.jpg
from inside the coop.
64332_0903001801.jpg
from the outside looking through the top door.
64332_n_chicks_010.jpg
The whole coop, nesting boxes on the left.

48712_015.jpg

We made these nesting boxes out of an old dog house. It works just fine. I like going into the coop to gather my eggs so I have a chance to look in on all of my girls. I just put hinges on the back of the lid and a handle on the front to lift and get eggs out. You can see that we put it on legs so it sits about 12-18 inches off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom