Show off your house ducks!

Pics

Scovy Momma

Songster
9 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Lincoln CA
Pictures,video,trained tricks,silly behaviors! Let's see! I would like to see other house duckies or diaper wearers. I just want to show my folks I'm not the only house duck nut
big_smile.png

Actually,I'm looking to make her a therapy animal & it'll hopefully help to show that they can be a calm animal indoors & can be trusted.

I have three house ducks! 8 month old white mallards. I had them diapered but their diapers fell apart
barnie.gif

so now I have a penned off area for them that I vacuum daily and carpet clean weekly.
We spend the majority of our time at the beach or park though. So just when I'm at work or class they have to stay inside.

Here's the crew! Finn, my drake in the back. Jake in the middle,
and TreeTrunks in the front with the freckles on her beak.

Us, napping in the sun.

Jake AKA r2DUCK2

TreeTrunks, before her spots.

Finn, at the beach.

In the car on a rainy day

Road Trip!!!

Sorry I have to vent but as a house duck owner there are a few things I've seen posted in the last week. I've noticed that a member of BYC finds it in their own best interest to report people to health departments for keeping house ducks/geese. I have a couple thoughts on this:

I keep a diapered house duck. She doesn't smell, my house doesn't smell. There isnt duck poop all over the place. She's not neglected and she's better behaved then any dog I've owned or met. She gets more baths than I do. She is always being invited back to the hotels/motels we've stayed at. Cities/towns in my state have started to include ducks as "Household Pets". I've had cleaners, maintenance, parents of my kids friends and others who come in who don't realize I have a duck until they see I have a ducky following me.

If someone wants to report me for keeping a indoor pet that they don't feel should be indoors I have to ask whether this person has ever had a dog poop on their floor. If they've ever had their couch, cushions, clothes or carpet chewed up by a dog. Ever had a dog bolt it out the door causing you to chase them three blocks away. I've experienced this before. I'm yet to experience any of this with Soleil. That's right, I have one duck for all those who don't believe a duck can survive without other ducks!

Phew that feels better! Not everyone will agree on everything, but for those of us lucky enough to have a duck or two (or 3) sharing our space, we know how cuddly, loving and intelligent ducks can be!

So I finally got my ducklings yesterday. All three were healthy and perky. They've even shown themselves to already have very different personalities to go with their different looks. They've got a mild imprint, not so much on me or humans so much as anything bigger than them much to the horror of the two cats they chased from one room to another.

I've got Artemis (the Cayuga), the feisty independent leader with no fear. Where she goes the others are right behind her even when escaping. She has a tiny arrow shape under her chin.
DEOq57XU0AAK3qI.jpg

Then there is Selene (Blue Swedish), she's the biggest of the three and a bit of a bully at times. She also spooks the easiest.
DEOrJxJU0AExpCs.jpg

Then there is Luna Lilly aka Lulu pad (Welsh Harlequin). She is the smallest and the sweetest. She is the least independent and hates being alone for even a second.
DEOrscMV0AAdaBA.jpg

DELP1ofUwAA-jvK.jpg

I am new to the duck thing we just got our first Pekin duckling on Saturday but we are do in love! She is 2-3 weeks old. (I think "she" anyway). We named her Vee. Any advice for starting out? We just ordered a coop online that I think will be good.

LOL. Welcome to BYC!

That is certainly enough for one duckling/grown duck. Did you buy only the one?

I caution you about overbuilding your coop/pen/run. Realizing that it's way to much for one duck will cause you to get more ducks.

I caution you about underbuilding your coop/pen/run. Realizing it's not big enough for all the other ducks you're going to get will cause you to spend more replacing or expanding it.

Yes, you will get more ducks. Accept the reality from the beginning, and it will be much easier the day you walk out into your yard and wonder how you came to have so many ducks. They are so lovable that it can be very difficult to stop adding, and each one has its own little personality. They can be very habit-forming.
wink.png

Hello, everyone. Just finished reading this thread and have been stalking the BYC since I realized I wanted ducks, especially house ducks. I have ordered three little ladies from Metzer, due July 6th and we're in the process of building their brooder/indoor pen. I'm beyond excited for my baby fuzzbutts and will posts pics as soon as they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom