Show off your Silkies!

She almost looks as if she where to be mixed with white and buff to get a cream color

Neither of her parents with that color, though.
1f914.png

I think she's too light to be porcelain. Perhaps the rooster is a blue cream? But then he has some splash looking stuff too. See? I just can't seem to figure these two out. Hmmm...

Porcelains range a lot in color. I've seen them almost white with a little buff and lavender and really dark (and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream, in Silkies, anyway :) ).

Porcelains range a lot in color. I've seen them almost white with a little buff and lavender and really dark (and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream, in Silkies, anyway :) ).

Oh, okay! Thank you soooo much! I just need a little clarification on what you mean by "and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream".

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. :)

We are new to chickens and we have one Silkie! I have no idea what kind of Silkie, other than she is black. My 5 year old have to have her. She is almost 11 weeks old. Named "Ole 5 Toes" She is really sweet and relaxed. I'm assuming she is a she, but I really dont know for sure.

We are new to chickens and we have one Silkie! I have no idea what kind of Silkie, other than she is black. My 5 year old have to have her. She is almost 11 weeks old. Named "Ole 5 Toes" She is really sweet and relaxed. I'm assuming she is a she, but I really dont know for sure. [/quot Ya that's a hen but she looks the be a beared black silkie hen

Oh, okay! Thank you soooo much! I just need a little clarification on what you mean by "and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream".

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. :)

In other breeds, like D'uccles, porcelain is its own color. It's millie fleur diluted with lavender. In Silkies, the breeder that originally started the project wanted to call them porcelain. However, porcelain requires the mottled gene, and Silkies lack that, so there was a bit of hub bub on porcelain in Silkies. The last I'd heard, everyone had agreed to call it self blue cream instead. Self blue is lavender (very different from blue, black and splash). So, in Silkies, when someone refers to porcelain and self blue cream, they are the same color. Hope that helps some :)

Last edited:
In other breeds, like D'uccles, porcelain is its own color. It's millie fleur diluted with lavender. In Silkies, the breeder that originally started the project wanted to call them porcelain. However, porcelain requires the mottled gene, and Silkies lack that, so there was a bit of hub bub on porcelain in Silkies. The last I'd heard, everyone had agreed to call it self blue cream instead. Self blue is lavender (very different from blue, black and splash). So, in Silkies, when someone refers to porcelain and self blue cream, they are the same color. Hope that helps some :)

Ohhhh!! Thank you SO much! That makes so much more sense! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom