show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Good morning folks
big_smile.png

Glad to see you here Mr. Heinz77 and lauralou.
clap.gif

Welcome to class Rusty hen.
ya.gif

I don't know what Snowbird ( Don) has in store for us, but I do know the man believes in HOMEWORK
lau.gif
As soon as he starts teaching and questioning, we will all be sent out to our coops to inspect our own birds!
gig.gif

Don, what do you need us to do first?

This is a picture of one of the Reserve Champion English Speckled Sussex By Tony Albritton in Washington.

SussexTonyResEnglish.jpg

This is a sketch from one the hatcheries for speckled sussex.....
DON, I don't think the roo is suppose to have that white and black barred tail feather, but other than that these look pretty good sketches to use for discussions on body type - - RIGHT ? ?
sussexsketch.jpg

This is a 1920's Sewell print
I am seeing HINTS of the black and white barred tail feather on the roo again..... Is it suppose to be like that ?

sussexprint.jpg

Hope these will be useful in our discussions......

Last edited:
I may have to take the class as an audit since I can't go to my coop. I may be able to go to the incubator and look at the eggs or the brooder and look at the one I hope is hatched as it started pipping last night. Maybe I need a 504 plan or an IEP for accommodations and modifications. Maybe I need a remedial class.

Quote:
Yes, I'd like to know more about body type, like depth of body, how wide apart the legs should be, length of neck, shape of head. The last pullet shown there is something about her from the side that does not look right, is it depth of body, her length of neck?

Glad you brought this up as I had intended to ask Lisa, for another picture of the pullet standing alone. These are the comments we need as no one person is going to catch everything first time around. Lisa where is the light Box you were going to build ? I love the one I built for taking pictures.

Quote:
We will start the type and color discussion later today. Everyone please join in as Lisa, is doing this for the benefit of everyone. All questions and view points are welcome. Just like to ad also that all the genetic formulas mean nothing when it comes to the actual type, They will predict color combinations.

We will be using the Sewell picture as a reference point for the SS as I believe he is the best Poultry artist. Lisa what you see in the tail section of the SS here is just the main tail being over lapped by the sickle feathers.

We will start with the head , neck section for the discussion.

Quote:
From one teacher to another
yuckyuck.gif
Too Funny!
yuckyuck.gif

Keep that sense of humor... You are gonna need it!

Don keeps a ruler underneath the computer.... He reaches through the monitor and smacks us with it if we get off task.

WHACK - - I just felt the smack!

Back to the topic -- Speckled Sussex!

Quote:
sussexprint.jpg

What should we being seeing that sets the speckled sussex apart from other breeds ? ?
On the hen, I see more of a short and thick neck compared to my marans and delawares....
The beak color is wrong, isn't it ? ?

Last edited:
Teacher, I forgot my book. Whack! Actually I e-mailed my library to get the SOP on interlibrary loan. There is only 1 copy of it in Iowa. I need to print off Lisa's cheat sheet to go by. I usually use my Blackberry to get on BYC and the pics are squished. I'll print this off after milking.
Jim

Lisa, on these old painting the color is very seldom correct as I believe they fade with age, we will go with the picture for type.

Beak : Stout, rather short, slightly curved. Horn color.

Head : Moderately large, broad, medium in length.

Comb : Single ; medium in size, set firmly on head, perfectly straight and upright, having five well defined points those in front and rear being smaller than those in middle, fine in texture, blade following curve of neck.

Face : Surface smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.

Eyes : Large, round, Prominent.

Wattles : Small, equal in length, well rounded at loweredges.

Ear-Lobes : Medium in size, oval, and smooth.

Neck : Medium in length, nicely curved and tapering.Neck feathers moderately full, flowing well over shoulders with no apparent break at juncture of neck and back.

This is what is required by the SOP. Lets discuss these parts before going on to others sections. Might want to print off a copy if you do not have the SOP. We can also use these to discuss any SS that anyone might want to ask a question on anything in this group.

Alright, I've printed mine and gone back and looked at the picture to make sure the verbal matches the visual example.
I think I have it.....

I can find some pics on the web that we can practice our evaluation skills on....

I probably won't be able to do that for a couple of hours....

Back
Top Bottom