show quality speckled sussex ??

Greenriver, I think veteran respected poultry judge Troy LaRoche is from your area. He's a very friendly, helpful person. Look him up at the American Poultry Association website Judges directory. ( they have Canadian judges there too). Give him a call and see if you can meet him at a show or something. Also do email Brian at English River Poultry. I know he has gotten out of Speckled Sussex but he sure know how to breed them! And I can also see the Overton influence in your stock and brain created his smashing birds by crossing Overton with (sp?) poorlight strain so he know how to breed birds with traits like your. Maybe you can send him pics or meet him at a show with some of your birds, even f you aren't showing them.
Best,
Karen
I mean really Greenriver drool over these English River SS. http://erpoultry.weebly.com/poultry.html Get ahold of Brian Woods at ERP and find out to whom he sold his SS. Then get a hold of that person and buy the best cock you can afford before that strain gets mixed with another. Nuts, buy a pair, M and F. Blood tells.

Last edited:
My Speckled Sussex breeding pen is starting to pump out some eggs. My first test hatch is suppose to hatch next Sunday. Got my new brooder put together and can't wait to hatch some big numbers this coming year :)

My pretty pullets. :)

Last edited:
Do you think this one's SQ? She's always been smaller so she's probably a bit underweight but other than that. Her name is Bok-Choy and she is 1 year old as of March 25th. That egg in one of the pictures isn't hers, it's my australorp's.

How did you do with improving the SS breed? I'm having a hard time finding better quality SS. If you've got some to sell you might consider posting here bc they are hard to find. All the breeders I contacted no longer have them.

I don't raise "show quality ss" but like the looks of most of the speckled sussex I've seen here. I would be interested in finding some eggs around Eastern Oklahoma or Western Arkansas if anyone has any or knows of someone with some. It's fun seeing all the pain and pride people have when looking at their birds, or other people's birds, with a critical eye. I look at mine differently now after seeing this thread/forum. I enjoy it, Bret.

Hi!
I got my Sussex who just took home Best of Class and Best of Utility from.... a hatchery! Shocking, I know! MyPetChicken has really nice birds from great breeders, and they're show winners! Of course, good feed and frequent foraging go a long way, but MPC Sussex were great to start with!

Hi!
I got my Sussex who just took home Best of Class and Best of Utility from.... a hatchery! Shocking, I know! MyPetChicken has really nice birds from great breeders, and they're show winners! Of course, good feed and frequent foraging go a long way, but MPC Sussex were great to start with!
Congrats! How many other Sussex were there and where was the show?
Good for you!
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom