show quality speckled sussex ??

Lisa and aveca-- great outlines--thanks for posting.

I see the same chest as you see Lisa-- as potentially meaty breasts.

Don, can you elaborate on the details of the structure in thebreasst/ keel, width area that allows for more muscling to be developed in that area. I have been looking more closely at the carcass of the cornishX at dinner time and see these three structures that will allow for more muscling--am I on the right track?

Aveca....those drawings are not accurate either.

w.
I know walt...thier old.......thats why I keep saying APA needs to update this..most people are visual ..you can describe the grand canyon but nothing like seeing it.. then you cant post the standard so that doesnt help much either..hoping some of todays APA people take the time to write , with examples of what is considered very good today.. if you were to try to draw a picture of grape creek colorado by my descritpion..It might look like a disaster LOL!

Some of the old time books and pics like on kellerstraus whites , Im sorry, there is nothing today as good as those birds were.. those great birds were lost to the dustbin of time.

Last edited:
The APA has nothing to do with the publications you posted. The APA has pictures that show the proper side view of these breeds.....with the exception of the Marans which was just recognized a couple of years ago. They will be in the next edition. There are plenty of illustrations of breeds online, but very few are accurate. The only safe way to get a description of a breed is to use an APA Standard of Perfection......the newer the better.

Walt

the inside cover says dedicated by APA. you can go read it for yourself....walt...its really old..didnt mean to upset anybody, just thought it was cute...thats all

Kellerstraus is an advertisement that was inside the sussex book dedicated by APA..nothing more..they are gone...long gone..there is nothing wrong with a little history Walt..cant know where your going if you dont know where youve been..those books are valuable..there are too many poultry people who assume that they are somehow much better than everybody else , that is why people look back to the old books sometimes for answers...they are valuable , even the old adds of extinct lines to see what they looked like..

Last edited:
the inside cover says dedicated by APA. you can go read it for yourself....walt...its really old..didnt mean to upset anybody, just thought it was cute...thats all

Kellerstraus is an advertisement that was inside the sussex book dedicated by APA..nothing more..they are gone...long gone..there is nothing wrong with a little history Walt..cant know where your going if you dont know where youve been..those books are valuable..there are too many poultry people who assume that they are somehow much better than everybody else , that is why people look back to the old books sometimes for answers...they are valuable , even the old adds of extinct lines to see what they looked like..

No one is upset. The APA has no control over what is dedicated to them. The APA does not endorse any of these books as being accurate. They may be accurate, but the APA has nothing to do with any of these publications. The APA Standard is the proper place to look for visual descriptions, as the illustrations follow the written shape for the breed. Schillings illustrations are accurate, but many of the other drawings and pics depict a bird that does not agree with the current APA descriptions. I like the old works, but just because they are old does not mean they are accurate/true.

Walt

That Bratt book. hey were trying to get accepted by the APA so they dedicated the book to it. The acceptance didn't happen and the book ends on a sour note with that Club blaming the APA. It was politics and better forgotten. That old Club is gone and the new Club is a better one.
Best,
Karen

The picture of the Delaware shows a terrible underline with the lower chest looking indented......... use the APA Standard to check the underlines of the three breeds. They were all done by the same artist and the underlines are depicted in a correct way. There is no Marans yet illustration yet.

Walt
Ok... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom