show quality speckled sussex ??

Some pics of my 20 week cockerels--I have to choose who stays soon

Below was my pick from last year even though he had a high tail-- but when he went through his moult this fall he grew crazy sickles that stand straight up! (First pic)

This year's contenders seem to have better balance and tail angles. I'm hoping their colouring improves as they grow. I think it will.

Last edited:
Some pics of my 20 week cockerels--I have to choose who stays soon

[/URL]

Below was my pick from last year even though he had a high tail-- but when he went through his moult this fall he grew crazy sickles that stand straight up! (First pic)

This year's contenders seem to have better balance and tail angles. I'm hoping their colouring improves as they grow. I think it will.

Those are amazing!

I'm considering keeping this guy to see how he turns out. He's very large for my birds but on the lanky side. See how high he holds his wings? All my roosters seem to carry their wings too low-- but maybe this is too high?

The male you are planning on keeping has a tail that is much too high. What is wrong with the male in second picture.I would almost walk to Canada for a SS like him

The male you are planning on keeping has a tail that is much too high. What is wrong with the male in second picture.I would almost walk to Canada for a SS like him

I am keeping the one in the second picture for sure. He's my first pick this year and I may show him as well. Another one I am considering keeping as well is much larger than I usually have with legs set well apart--which I have never seen in my birds. My birds are about a pound under standard weight. I will keep 4 or 5 for sure (plus my mature 2) and I will keep them for different reasons. High tails are also a problem in my birds I need to correct. I may be trying to work on too many things at once! I'm hoping to learn a lot at the show.
You're so right about the tail angle on that last guy. I should probably forget about him. Thanks :)

Hi there everybody. First post on this thread. Until recently I (thought) I only had a couple of hatchery Sussex hens, so nothing much to talk about there. However, I recently found out my "Jubilee Orpington" cock was actually a Speckled Sussex. I've only ever used him in mutt breedings for DP offspring, so it didn't occur to me until recently to scrutinize his shape and color; I got him a couple years back, and he was my first ever "breeder stock" bird - I hardly even knew what the difference between hatchery and breeder stock was at the time, and so I took them at their word that I was buying an Orpington. But after some help from the folks on some of the Orpington threads, I'm pretty darned sure he's a Sussex. I'm not terribly disappointed - a good bird is a good bird - although this does come a month after purchasing a very nice (and, unfortunately, pricey) Orpington hen to breed with him - no clue what to do with her now, lol.

However, I am considering purchasing a few breeder stock Sussex hens to go with him. But before I do, I was hoping to get an opinion on how well he fits the standard. I don't think he's a hatchery stock bird - he seems just too big for that, and too well built - but honestly, I don't know much of anything about Sussex, beyond my interactions with hatchery birds, and a glance at the standard on the first page of this thread. Can anybody with an experienced eye tell me how good of a specimen he is? The main flaws I've picked out are the large amounts of white in his sickles and primaries/secondaries, and a poor comb, but like I said, I don't know much about Sussex, so he could be much worse off than that.

I am not an expert but he has too many white feathers and you really need to cut his spurs. I bet he can barely walk. Or he will walk with his legs so far apart they will cause him to stand and walk differently. He may kill a hen trying to breed with those huge spurs. He looks perfect from one side and then looks like someone tried to paint him white on the other. I still think he is a beautiful bird! Way too much white for show. Like I said before, I am not an expert.

Hi there everybody. First post on this thread. Until recently I (thought) I only had a couple of hatchery Sussex hens, so nothing much to talk about there. However, I recently found out my "Jubilee Orpington" cock was actually a Speckled Sussex. I've only ever used him in mutt breedings for DP offspring, so it didn't occur to me until recently to scrutinize his shape and color; I got him a couple years back, and he was my first ever "breeder stock" bird - I hardly even knew what the difference between hatchery and breeder stock was at the time, and so I took them at their word that I was buying an Orpington. But after some help from the folks on some of the Orpington threads, I'm pretty darned sure he's a Sussex. I'm not terribly disappointed - a good bird is a good bird - although this does come a month after purchasing a very nice (and, unfortunately, pricey) Orpington hen to breed with him - no clue what to do with her now, lol.

However, I am considering purchasing a few breeder stock Sussex hens to go with him. But before I do, I was hoping to get an opinion on how well he fits the standard. I don't think he's a hatchery stock bird - he seems just too big for that, and too well built - but honestly, I don't know much of anything about Sussex, beyond my interactions with hatchery birds, and a glance at the standard on the first page of this thread. Can anybody with an experienced eye tell me how good of a specimen he is? The main flaws I've picked out are the large amounts of white in his sickles and primaries/secondaries, and a poor comb, but like I said, I don't know much about Sussex, so he could be much worse off than that.

He's very pretty but he doesn't look like a speckled Sussex to me. I've seen crosses that look similar to him. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom