show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Thanks math ace. Seems that with the Speckled Sussex it's even more BUYER BEWARE than usual. I'm okay with that, since I just wanted to try the breed out and see how I like them. They are rumored to be very friendly, and of course the plumage pattern will be a cool addition to my extremely mixed flock. I'll definitely be posting pictures once my birds get a little older. For educational purposes. I'm pretty laid back about the good and bad qualities of all my birds, so my feelings can't be hurt by critiques. It's just a laying flock of spoiled pets, after all.

Roosters.... I really want one, but I have a zero tolerance policy for nasty roosters. I had heard that SS roos were generally nice, but you just never know. You can get a bad one from any breed. I don't have an adult roo at all right now, but I'm hoping to find a keeper from my recent hatches. I have 4 different breeds of babies running around, so maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I'll get chicken and dumplings. And chicken casserole. And chicken and rice.
lol.png

And about the eggs. The eggs I got were quite small from both sources. I don't know if they were pullet eggs or not. I didn't ask. I may be biased about what small is, since I have some older hens who lay enormous eggs... I also noticed when candling that both batches had several porous eggs. Not sure if that's normal or not. No big deal, I just thought it was interesting. I did love the pale creamy color of the eggs. I don't have anything like that in my egg basket right now.

Quote:
My eggs are on day 12. I was using a LED light. I turned off the lights, put the egg on top of a box with a hole in it and put the flashlight inside to shine up through the egg. All I can see is a dark blob in each. So, is that a bad thing?

Orange Ribbon, I hold my egg and flash light in one hand with the egg resting on light. You will be albe to see much more clearly.
that is how I took this pic.
83510_img_0263.jpg

I don't candle too often just 3 or4 times a hatch.

Quote:
Hey, that is a neat picture! That is what I'll do next time. Thank you Rusty Hen, I sure do appreciate you taking the time to show me.
smile.png

Quote:
Hey Mr. Jim! I guess you posted the same time I did. Thanks for that link! I checked it out briefly, and I'm not seeing that clearly inside. Rusty Hen gave me a tip. If that don't work I'm going to buy me a pair of those x-ray glasses I used to see in the comic books.
wink.png

Quote:
My eggs are on day 12. I was using a LED light. I turned off the lights, put the egg on top of a box with a hole in it and put the flashlight inside to shine up through the egg. All I can see is a dark blob in each. So, is that a bad thing?

No I think that is normal...

They start out clear... The dark blob around day12 is the chick. If you watch carefully, you might actually see the dark blob move!

Back
Top Bottom