show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
I saw these pictures but backed off from a critique as I didn't know if the poster was seasoned enough to be able to take it on the chin. If you really want and tell you what I see.

lol.png
Go ahead and tear em' up!
wink.png
I've shown rabbits for almost 20yrs now and I can take whatever you've got for me.
big_smile.png

Its true if you ever breed and/or show anything you have to have a tough skin. At the same time take it all with a grain of salt as ther are differeing opinions and btw RIRJen - REALLY nice english lops - checked out your site and as a youth that is what i got my start in was the E. lops !

Quote:
lol.png
Go ahead and tear em' up!
wink.png
I've shown rabbits for almost 20yrs now and I can take whatever you've got for me.
big_smile.png

Its true if you ever breed and/or show anything you have to have a tough skin. At the same time take it all with a grain of salt as ther are differeing opinions and btw RIRJen - REALLY nice english lops - checked out your site and as a youth that is what i got my start in was the E. lops !

Exactly
smile.png
clap.gif
I am always open to comments on any of my animals, negative or positive.

Thank you for the compliment on my rabbits
smile.png
I'm afraid my website needs some updating...maybe that's what I'll do this weekend!
lol.png

Quote:
Inkheart, I see where you are from Columbus , Ohio. Have you ever looked for SS at Ohio National or even Lucasville ? I have seen Show type SS fowl at both of these shows. If I were to look for SS it would be at one of these two shows.

Quote:
Inkheart, I see where you are from Columbus , Ohio. Have you ever looked for SS at Ohio National or even Lucasville ? I have seen Show type SS fowl at both of these shows. If I were to look for SS it would be at one of these two shows.

I have not been at Lucasville and i attended the Ohio national last year and there were not even any large fowl Sussex being shown! There were several bantams but none that were for sale. When is the lucasviile show?

Quote:
Orange Ribbon I had very similiar experiences right down to the "birds wiped out by predators or something". I did not feel like these folks were taking me seriously. I did feel that I had been judged "unworthy" to have their birds. All I can say is that "WE MUST DO IT DIFFERENT". We must be willing to share our birds / eggs once we reach the point of having some nicer, sought after stock.

I found breeders to be closed mouth about the things they have learned. Very few are as gracious as Don has been. Very few are willing to share the years of acquired wisdom. Without Don and Walt ( snowbird and fowlman01) this thread would not exist! There has to be more BYC breeders out there who have worked with the SS amd there are more poultry judges on BYC that could help with advice.... All I can say is that "WE MUST DO IT DIFFERENT". We must be willing to share our information.

I started this thread to help with these goals. With Don's help, I bet you in a year or two we will be on the way to having some nice SS and a group of breeders really trying to reach the SOP. Just seeing indianfeathers rooster has helped me refine my eye.... Thank you, Indianfeathers, for posting the boy.
I tried to start this thread before and there were people interested, but no one to guide us. I found many people were selling SS, but had no idea what the SOP was or how close their birds were to it. "WE MUST DO IT DIFFERENT". We are going to have to learn what the SOP for SS is suppose to look like. We need to know this to purchase good birds and to do the best job breeding.

clap.gif
clap.gif
Thanks again to Don and Walt for helping us along with this goal.
clap.gif
clap.gif

Thank you! I had a lot of help when I started out, so I like to return that help. I think most real breeders are very helpful...at least that is true here in the West. Predators do come and kill birds and having enough birds for all people is beyond most of our capabilities. I was surprised early on when people didn't have a full array of birds available when I wanted some, but it is not easy for a breeder to have enough for everyone who might eventually want some birds. We also all have poor breeding years. No doubt that there are some jerks out there, but I find most people are very helpful....and I found that the case when I started out. Serious breeders very seldom sell eggs cuz they could sell a potential show winner for a dollar. Most of use want to see our birds before we get rid of them. I have sold lots of birds that have done very well in shows including best of show. I don't care if I sell a bird that can beat me if the price is right. I would not be giving those kinds of birds away. I just can't afford to do that. My feed bill is high....100 lbs a day high, so if I can subsidize part of that with bird sales I do it.

I have found poultry people to be very helpful and I found that way before anyone heard of me....I was a beginner like most of you.

Off to show at the state fair. Went from 10 entries to 5 and they are marginal. Will return Tuesday.

Walt

Just like to ad a little to what Walt has said. Over the years I have had several of the oldtimer as Mentors and they have all passed on now. I called my Mentors on a regular basic with questions and never had one that was too busy. I had some very well known names in the poultry World also.

I like Walt am just trying to give something back for the help I have been given in the past. So far this is the best Thread to work with on BYC. If you have a question and do not want to post just PM or email me as I return all messages and emails.

Quote:

I have not been at Lucasville and i attended the Ohio national last year and there were not even any large fowl Sussex being shown! There were several bantams but none that were for sale. When is the lucasviile show?

Do not have the Poultry Press close by but the Lucasville show is early October and you might want to check with Tim Bowles. He has been a long time Stringman.

I've grown to love this thread because I can see that everyone here has helping each other as the main goal. I don't say much, but I pay attention to what is going on, and even though it may not look like it (especially when I critiqued the bird and showed I am not much of a judge...
big_smile.png
) I am learning! I just want everyone to know I wasn't trying to be negative toward anyone or this thread when I threw out my thoughts.
smile.png

As for my 'show quality' hatchery chicks...
lol.png
Some are dark colored, some are real light, and some are in between. I'm sure they will be a mess. HA! I sort of like 'em anyway.

Okay, let's learn some more cool stuff.
thumbsup.gif

Don and or Walt,
because I do some sculpting I look at bone beneeth the feathers, so we should be looking for wide pelvis and wide deep rib cage to get the larger birds that are needed?
I hope this won't throw the discussion off too much but it will help me understand. the choices between them when they of adult age.

Quote:
Do not have the Poultry Press close by but the Lucasville show is early October and you might want to check with Tim Bowles. He has been a long time Stringman.

This is what I have . ..

Southern Ohio Poultry Association
312 O'Connor Road
Lucasville, Ohio 45648

TWO SHOW DATES

May 28 - 29
AND
October 1 - 2.

For those who are not familiar with the Poultry press.... It is a poultry newspaper that lists / advertises the future poultry shows and reports the winners ( breeder namd AND pic of winning birds). The various chicken clubs run articles and there are some general breeding advice.
A LOT of breeders advertise in the poultry press. Many of these breeders are not active on the web...

Example...July's issue has an article co-written by our very own Robert Blosi ( from the heritage breeders thread). The article is called
JAVA BREEDING 101 The basics.

(Tongue in cheek on this next one) There is even an article entitled.... "MARANA chicken club USA" by Dick Dickerson.
I DID NOT misspell that quote, but someone else sure did! LOL

I do think the poultry press is a great deal. It is $26 for a year's subscription.

Poultry Press
PO BOX 542
Connersville, Indiana 47331

OR

1 - 765-827-0932.

The newspaper for July is 44 pages long and delivered to my door for just a hair over $2 a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom