show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
They are not the same.... Specifically, I KNOW the tail angles are different for a hen and a rooster.
I haven't had a chance to do anymore than what I did on the first page....
hide.gif

Rather than retyping the whole thing.... maybe I will just look at how the standard is different and just type that in for the female.
I just have not had the time at the computer lately....
th.gif

Quote:
They are not the same.... Specifically, I KNOW the tail angles are different for a hen and a rooster.
I haven't had a chance to do anymore than what I did on the first page....
hide.gif

Rather than retyping the whole thing.... maybe I will just look at how the standard is different and just type that in for the female.
I just have not had the time at the computer lately....
th.gif

No Stress Math Ace,
I understand not haveing enough time, this time of year is so busy. Just upkeep on chickens and gardens and canning, plus work and home duties. Whew! just thinking about it all makes me tired.
sad.png

Hi Im back to bug you some more this time I was wondering if you could critique (sp) one of my Ideal hatchery girls, she is just now 20 weeks old I have 4 more that I will be asking for help with just haven't taken any new pictures of them yet. So if you would please look at them I would apprieate it. Thankyou! She has 2 longer tail feathers ? Scared me for a min. but she started laying to I know shes a she. Oh and please excuse my messy back yard, (all the lawn mowing stuff and feathers , theres been alot of molting going on around here! Looks like we had a pillow fight out back. LOL

This is Lucy 20 weeks old.
20212_lucy_3.jpg

20212_lucy_1.jpg

20212_lucy_5.jpg

20212_lucy_2.jpg

20212_lucy_4.jpg

My phone doesn't take the best of pictures so if you need better ones I will be glad to go and get more of her for ya.

Last edited:
Stormlady, if any of my SS from Ideal turn out as good as yours does I'll be tickled plumb to death! I ordered 8 SS hens and 2 roosters from Ideal a few weeks ago. One of them died but it will be awhile before I know if it was a roo or hen. Out of those 9 there are about 3 that don't have solid white feathers on their wings. So, maybe one of those will come out pretty good.
fl.gif

I think Lucy has a nice shape to her with big breast, and long, wide back. I don't see any solid white feathers in the tail or wings. The tail is not pinched. I like the amount of speckling she has, and she has a pretty dark color though maybe it should be a little darker, not sure. About the only negative thing I see is the two longer tail feathers, and because I am new to this, I wonder if those two just grew faster than the others and the rest will catch up later? I'm not sure about that, because it looks like the other tail feathers are about as long as they should be. Trim those two off and don't tell anybody! HA!

That is my critique, but I usually get some stuff wrong. I can't wait to hear from Snowbird and Math Ace to see what they think. Personally, I love Lucy!
thumbsup.gif

Okay, I got another question. Why is it the fault that is most often seen on Speckled Sussex (at least most of the ones I see) are the big white feathers on the wings and tails? Is there a white chicken in its breeding history that tries to come out in these birds or what? And why is it the tail and wings? Well, I reckon that was three questions.
tongue.png

Quote:
Thankyou!! I like your critique of Lucy! Yeah the tail feathers worried me a bit too, thought she was trying to turn Roo! LOL but thankfully she started laying. I read a while back about the legs being pinkish/white or whitish/pink but all my girls have sheet white legs??? Lucy doesn't have any white wing feathers, Here comb is trying to lop over just a tad but Im hoping that is because is started laying, it wasn't doing that before. I still don't have the gist of getting the Mohogony color down right I just can't picture it in my head. If I can get Math Ace or Snowbird to tell me that one of my girls are breeding worthy Im going to have to try and find a good Roo for her. I have Zero SS Roos. LOL .

I bet your babies will be georgeous! And mine are Super friendly girls even though Lucy looks like she would love to break my phone into a thousand pieces in that first picture, she has those piercing eyes that look like shes say "Say What !?"

I think Lucy is pretty nice looking, but then again I thought my girl Uno was too, but apparently shes not all that! LOL I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder!! LOL But in all seriousness I really am learning alot on this thread and I really apprieate all the critisiums (sp)'

LOL I will cull every girl that I have trying to get the perfect one, BUT my Uno is going nowhere , she could be the ugliest Duckling in the world but ya just gotta love her, she is such a sweetheart! she is the only one that will just stand there and let me Rant and Rave and carry on about what a crappy day Ive had she just stands there and coos back at me like she understands every word I say! LOL (shhhhh don't tell anybody I said that ok!)

Thanks alot Orange Ribbon! I really apprieate your critiqueing my girls! I haven't got up the nerve to critique anybodys birds yet, Im so afraid I will get it all wrong. LOL but I guess you got to make mistakes to learn right? Im going to try and post the other 4 girls over this next week and see what all thinks about them also. I would really love to see your babies?? Sandy

Oohh I just had a thought about Lucy's tail feather " Problems" she is just finishing up her babie molt, maybe she still has to molt those 2 longer ones? Is that a possibility? Does that happen or is there a name for that type of tail? I did look on the SOP page and read alot of tail descriptions like wry tail, split tail but they didn't say anything about Rooster tail?? Is that a possibility? about the molting I mean? Sandy

Quote:
Hi, See if you can get a closeup to see the eye color.

Very nice SS pullet.

Comb needs some work.

Nice broad Chest

Nice Spangles

Mahogany looks very good from the picture.

Tail ok could be a little more open

Tail looks to be molting so nothing to worry about.

Nice leg color and with between

Check to make sure the back is wide all the way back to the tail. Run your hand cupped starting in front and all the way back and you will be able to tell if the back is tapered or wide at tail intersection.

Back
Top Bottom