show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
Thanks Math Ace, very interesting and helpful.

Wow great link , that cleared up alot for me, put a picture with a term, Im a visual learner for the most part, hands on is the other part.

Quote:
I see the same good and a little bad that I seen on the other pullet. I would not worry about the eye color at this age. The comb could use a little work. The back on these pullets could be a little broader and wider all the way back.Overall two very nice pullets though. With the right male you could raise some nice SS from these pullets.

Thankyou so much!! I knew that they would have flaws LOL but Im in seventh heaven right now, I was expecting the worst. But You said "overall very nice pullets" that means alot to me. However Im not sure what you mean by (comb needs some work?) I know you mean using a really nice male with a great comb, just not sure what that looks like Yet? So what I need so far in a Rooster is one with a Really nice comb, and a wide back right? Well I got 3 more girls to go, and will post pics of them soon. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Sandy, if you can find a nice male with good width and length to his back it will fix the tapering back and also open up the tail width. Take a good look at the comb on the pullets and you will se they are a little wavy and if the had brothers they would have twisted combs and probably thumbprints going on also. What you need in a male to correct the combs is one that is straight with no wrinkles and is even. The SOP has sketches of the correct comb, and the Library has the SOP book if you do not have one. It is called American Standard of Perfection and it has several pages in the front of the book.

Quote:
Thankyou so much!! I knew that they would have flaws LOL but Im in seventh heaven right now, I was expecting the worst. But You said "overall very nice pullets" that means alot to me. However Im not sure what you mean by (comb needs some work?) I know you mean using a really nice male with a great comb, just not sure what that looks like Yet? So what I need so far in a Rooster is one with a Really nice comb, and a wide back right? Well I got 3 more girls to go, and will post pics of them soon. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Sandy, if you can find a nice male with good width and length to his back it will fix the tapering back and also open up the tail width. Take a good look at the comb on the pullets and you will se they are a little wavy and if the had brothers they would have twisted combs and probably thumbprints going on also. What you need in a male to correct the combs is one that is straight with no wrinkles and is even. The SOP has sketches of the correct comb, and the Library has the SOP book if you do not have one. It is called American Standard of Perfection and it has several pages in the front of the book.

I see, for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the combs, Uno's of course is huge and hers looks like it could belong on a Rooster, I got that, but the young pullets I was having problems with understanding, I got it now! Im going to go get a copy of the SOP in the next couple of days probably from the Library as you suggested. If I'm lucky, all 5 of these pullets will have the same issues and I can hopefully improve them with just one Fantastic looking Roo! Nah I know there's more to it than that! LOL But you have been a wonderful help to me Thankyou! Sandy

Quote:
Thanks Math Ace, very interesting and helpful.

Wow great link , that cleared up alot for me, put a picture with a term, Im a visual learner for the most part, hands on is the other part.

X2

OOPs I made a mistake I was going back over all my paper work and found out that these SS chicks did not come from Ideal, Sorry, I actually had Rural King special order the 5 girls from Cackle Hatchery because everyone else was sold out for the year And thought that maybe the feed store would get some in quicker which they did. But I'm so used to ordering from Ideal which I have always had very good luck with I just automatically thought "Ideal". I do Appologize for the mistake! Sandy

Ok here are my last 3 birds, First up is sweetpea, 20 weeks old. Same hatchery (Cackle)
Don is this comb any better? it looks straighter to me alittle??
This first picture of the comb belongs to Hallie, and not Sweetpea sorry got them confused, the rest of the pictures are of SWEETPEA
20212_2022.jpg

20212_2003.jpg

20212_2004.jpg

20212_2005.jpg

20212_2008.jpg

20212_2011.jpg

Next is Hallie same info, 20 weeks, cackle hatchery

Last edited:
Next Hallie 20 weeks She is alot lighter in color, more reddish and has more white in her wings and tail but no pure white feathers.

20212_2016.jpg

20212_2014.jpg

20212_hallie_1.jpg

20212_hallie_4.jpg

20212_2015.jpg

Last but not least is Percy girl,20 weeks and from Cackle. I think she might be my favorite, I just like her look best that doesn't mean she is best one. I leave that to the Pros! Thanks again for the Critiques on these guys. I think I might be getting the hang of it alittle bit now but there is just so much to learn!

20212_percy_9.jpg

20212_percy_8.jpg

20212_percy_1.jpg

20212_2012.jpg

20212_mix_2.jpg

20212_percy_4.jpg

20212_percy_7.jpg

The last one is of the 3 that I posted today and Uno (big comb) she was just running with the other girls.

20212_01.jpg

Looking forward to hearing what ya think of these 3 girls Thanks again Sandy, I can't wait to go on a Roo search for the girls that are ok to breed.

Back
Top Bottom