show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
When I google "chicken 'head points,'" I see many references to this but no definition. Can someone please explain?
pop.gif

=====================
Hi.
Basically a 'point' is a 'characteristic'. In animal breeding, a point is a definite characteristic of a particular breed or species. It can be a point of the dog as in shoulder , hock, foot, or nose. Then things can get more specific like points of a cetain region of the animal. points of the head in a chicken for instance. Some of these would be size of the eye, distance between the eyes, length and width of the beak, size of nostrils, width across the back of the skull, length from back of skull to top of beak, etc. People use points of an animal to describe the general animal. They use points of a region of an animal to describe the animal in detail or for a Standard's sake.
Hallmark is another word we often run into. It is used to describe something in a creature which makes that crreature distinct unto itself. An animal can have major and minor hallmarks. For instace, a major hallmark of the Marans is the dark chocolate egg; of the collie, the tipped ear; of the Basque hen, the barred gene on a buff colombian base. A minor hallmark might be color of a chicken's beak, the color of the shank, the weight of egg laid, the angle of a cock's tail. These are things that, tho they are specific to that animal's description, they are also found on other anaimals in that species.
The general points of the animal combined with both the major and the minor hallmarks make up the unique desciption of that animal or breed or species. To add to confusion, hallmarks are sometimes called points if a point falls into the catagory of a major or minor hallmark. However, once one gets used to reading the descriptions worded with this lingo, the association is clear).
Best Regards,
Karen Tewart
In western PA, USA

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone checking out the Pinched tail picture on the delaware thread. Just because the New Hampshire female has a fan tail does not mean she does not have a pinched tail. The two rows of the main tail feathers should be open with soft feathering.

The easiest way to correct the pinched tail is use a Male that has a very open tail.

Quote:
I thought that was noted in the post. (two types of pinched tail......vertical and horizontal) They are not ideal, but they are a good examples to get the concept.

Walt

Quote:
I thought that was noted in the post. (two types of pinched tail......vertical and horizontal) They are not ideal, but they are a good examples to get the concept.

Walt

Walt, to get a good view if a bird has a pinched tail, a picture should be taken from behind as that is the only way to verify if a bird has a pinched tail.

Quote:

Walt

Walt, to get a good view if a bird has a pinched tail, a picture should be taken from behind as that is the only way to verify if a bird has a pinched tail.

She posted pics from the side and the back. maybe I need to look again. That is why I said horizontal and vertical..maybe a poor way to put it, but it gives enough in the pics to see the differences. Yes, they could be better specimens, but she has people posting that they now can see what "Pinched" means and I think that is good. There was no intent to show perfect tail spread.

Walt

Quote:

She posted pics from the side and the back. maybe I need to look again. That is why I said horizontal and vertical..maybe a poor way to put it, but it gives enough in the pics to see the differences. Yes, they could be better specimens, but she has people posting that they now can see what "Pinched" means and I think that is good. There was no intent to show perfect tail spread.

Walt

Walt, Thanks for all you do.

Quote:

Sorry guys.... I am just too busy to stay very long. I find time every day to read this post and sure wish I had more time to post.

I noticed something strange on one of my birds today....

A few of the wing feather edges were rippled. This is on a male. I am not sure if they were always that way and I missed them or if he is damaging them by rubbing them against the fence while dancing with the rooster in the adjacent pen.

What about it... anyone ever seen rippled edges on a feather ? ?

I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

This is one of those threads, I read from time to time. Always enjoying looking over everyone's posts and pictures. I have owned Speckled Sussex, for some time now...but I have never posted pictures to this post. While I was out feeding tonight, I thought I would take a few pics, of our SS. NOW, PLEASE keep in mind, everyone here is molting right now. I have feathers everywhere in my yard, and coops. A Pillow fight, does not even start to describe my yard. Nothing like over 230 chickens/ducks/geese/and turkeys molting at the same time.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Anyway, here are a few pics, of our SS.

This is a picture, taken of our Roo, when he was about 5 months old.

74850_018.jpg

These are the pics, taken tonight. Our roo, is now 9 months old, and HUGE.
3 of the hens, are one year old. 2 pullets, that are 9 months of age, and 1 five month old pullet.
Some of the pics, make it look like the hens/pullets, have rounded tails. They do NOT! I had a hen in there, who was pulling everyone's tail feathers out. Needless to say...she is no longer here.
wink.png
You can see the new tail feathers, already coming back in, on some of the hens/pullets

74850_photo_0f19466d-11b3-7163-d922-efdc8aaaf840.jpg

74850_photo_6ae196b6-78e4-47bb-6264-d0e7981ab510.jpg

74850_photo_8aac7c0b-b7f5-af3a-6094-18012097e468.jpg

74850_photo_558cc423-63e0-159c-9466-ef2277c4d0ec.jpg

74850_photo_a0465e26-ab0d-620c-f47a-55761d542e9a.jpg

I know my SS flock is not show quality...but, I'm bias, and find them very beautiful. I have had a hell of a time, finding quality SS locally. Mine are a mix of Paul's line, and a private breeder's line, from here in central Florida.

Back
Top Bottom