show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Snowbird is having a hard time getting his posts on BYC right now. He did send me an email that I will try to cut and paste on here for some "official" commentary. For those new to the thread, Snowbird has raised SS before and is very familiar with the standard for them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited:
My questions on snowbirds commentary....

On the SS from Sand Hill - - Are you suspecting roach back or something else?

On the Mt Healthy Roo - - Are Brown ear tufts bad ? ?

Lastly . .
Does " The last two look like they would work in a cross. " mean that the last two roosters would be OK to use to start breeding forward with?
Would you have a preference between the two AND WHY ? ?

As I was cutting and pasting Snowbird's response, I noticed that there were a couple of questions still hangin out there.

Quote:
And there was this question . . .

Quote:
So, I am going to leave these questions out there for others to join in on. I am going to go get some chicken things done and will check in on the discussion later.

Last edited:
Quote:
Will try again to post on here.

Yes, the sandhill males are roach back.

The Brown ear Tufts on the one male are great and will produce young with less white.

mY PREFERENCE WOULD BE THE McMurray male for several reasons. Reasons Size, width, spangling, main body color, overall body type.

Quote:
And there was this question . . .

Quote:
So, I am going to leave these questions out there for others to join in on. I am going to go get some chicken things done and will check in on the discussion later.

The Sandhill SS are what is to be expected when buying from Hatchery fowl.

If I were starting a SS breeding program from the start I would go with the McMurray line of SS as they have more going for them, they look like the Meyer Hatchery SS. I wonder who shipped the McMurray chicks for them.

It appears that either the SOP is wrong or the Judges are ignoreing what it says. The past three shows I have attended the judges have placed SS with white primary feathers as BoB and BoV. So apparently the SOP is wrong.

Quote:
Thank you for correcting and enhancing my knowledge.

GREAT POST!
thumbsup.gif

Yes, thank you! Mille Fleur Sussex! Well, who knew!

Quote:
I wonder how this is happening. . . . I wonder if it is just because they are not seeing anything better or if it is because they are unfamiliar with the standard.

Quote:
Ok . . I see the spangling and main body color.

Size and width I thought were better on the Mt Healthy photo, but neither roo looks like a slacker in the size and width department.

OVERALL BODY TYPE . . . Help me out on this one . . . where does the McMurray one pull ahead in this department? I am NOT nit picking, I am just trying to refine my eye on the body type.
big_smile.png
Tell me where I should be focusing my eye- Please.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom