show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
pop.gif
pop.gif
Tell me more. I don't have a copy of the 2010 SOP. . .

Could you write EXACTLY what it says PLEASE
pop.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
pop.gif
pop.gif

pop.gif
pop.gif

It states
Primaries -- blac and white.

Also interestingly under male
TAIL:Main Tail Feathers -- black and white.
Sicles, Coverts and Smaller Coverts - lustrous, greenish black tipped with white.

Too me the SOP is invaluable, I go back to it all the time to compare with what I've got.

Quote:
pop.gif
pop.gif

pop.gif
pop.gif

It states
Primaries -- blac and white.

Also interestingly under male
TAIL:Main Tail Feathers -- black and white.
Sicles, Coverts and Smaller Coverts - lustrous, greenish black tipped with white.

Too me the SOP is invaluable, I go back to it all the time to compare with what I've got.

Just some help here. The main tail feathers are Black with white tip.

The Coverts are Mahogany Bay with each feather tipped with white and a black bar seperating the two colors

Quote:
In trying to figure out just where this Mille Fleur coloring may have come from and what I might get if I put them in the breeding program, I came across this on another website. I don't speak genetics yet, (Genetics of the Fowl is at the top of my winter reading list), but this supports Don's assertion the Sandhill birds may have been out-crossed.

Mille Fleur can be made on either Brown eb with the addition of Dark Brown or Columbian ,Pattern Gene,Melanotic,Mahogany & Mottled; or Wheaten eWh with Dark Brown ,Pattern Gene,Melanotic,Mahogany & Mottled.

I will take more pics tomorrow. I've never noticed the roach back on the Sandhill lot, so maybe it was just a bad pose/angle in that one picture I took. Still so much to learn! Thank you all for your comments and guidance.

Robin

Quote:
In trying to figure out just where this Mille Fleur coloring may have come from and what I might get if I put them in the breeding program, I came across this on another website. I don't speak genetics yet, (Genetics of the Fowl is at the top of my winter reading list), but this supports Don's assertion the Sandhill birds may have been out-crossed.

Mille Fleur can be made on either Brown eb with the addition of Dark Brown or Columbian ,Pattern Gene,Melanotic,Mahogany & Mottled; or Wheaten eWh with Dark Brown ,Pattern Gene,Melanotic,Mahogany & Mottled.

I will take more pics tomorrow. I've never noticed the roach back on the Sandhill lot, so maybe it was just a bad pose/angle in that one picture I took. Still so much to learn! Thank you all for your comments and guidance.

Robin

Good information - AGAIN!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Just to help you understand what is meant in the SOP they mean a black feather with a white tip.

Thanks for clearing this up. Maybe this part of the SOP should be fixed to make it more clear.

Quote:

Robin

Robin, I would start a breeding flock of the SS by using SS from the last two groups od birds you showed. I would stay away from the Sandhill SS and not use them in any king of breeding program. It would be nice to see some of the other two groups when you have time. Try and show from the front, overhead and a side view. Do you have any kind of idea of where McMurray got the chicks from ? They look like some of the Meyer Hatchery SS that have been pictured on BYC.

Mille Fleur is a color, not a breed. The most well-known mille fleur breed, however, is the mille fleur d'Uccle (which also comes in porcelain, white, golden necked, and maybe other colors), which is a bearded booted bantam. Lots of other breeds come in mille fleur coloring, though.
wink.png
I agree those lighter colored "ss"s are mille fleur colored. I have a pair of Pyncheons that are mille fleur colored.
In trying to figure out just where this Mille Fleur coloring may have come from and what I might get if I put them in the breeding program,
--------------------------
Hi Math Ace,
If the color isn't extremely correct, don't put it in your breeding program. Falkenstein, the legendary breeder
responsible for popularizing the Speckled Sussex, said it was the hardest color to breed. ( see article "The Proper Color of Speckled Sussex"
by him in Google Books (full view)
American poultry advocate: Volume 26 - Page 202 , 1917
http://tinyurl.com/6tdsd4j
Poultry success: Volume 29 - Page 67 , 1918
http://tinyurl.com/7g98nnq
According to the historical record, It's extremely difficult to get this tri-colored bird correct in plumage color and pattern.
That's why show lines should never be bred to anything less than another related show line. In fact, SS should not even
be strain-crossed except to another line-bred strain related to the original strain. All these folk who are starting with two or
three strains ( for the mistaken idea of biodiversity) have given themselves decades of work.
The best way to breed SS (according to the historical record) is to choose a show strain and line-breed on it ( tweaking it within
the Standard to please one's own artist' eye) ...Take Bantam Speckeld Sussex for instance. Skytop, Mongold , Overton and Ashbrook
are all quite related lines of bantam Speckled Sussex. Yet, each of these winning breeders has tweaked the variety to their own
artist's eye and produced top winning birds which are within the Standard. Yet they all "look" different. However, in the SOP points of
the breed, they all excel. That is solving the mystery of breed type, pleasing oneself, and forwarding the bred, in a nutshell.
A second way is to start with 2 related strains and "in and out breed " them according to the
Plan laid out in Judge Card's classic book on the laws of breeding poultry (available at archive.org online {full view}
http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924003158312 ). We all know that Dan Honour is the dean of Buff poultry genetics. His
Uncle's Uncle was Judge Card. The apple surely didn't fall far from the tree there. I'm not trying to be a hard-nose here. Not
trying to put anyone down. Just saying the historical record record says this is the classic way to do it. Poultry are different than
dogs and cats. Their wide genetic base lets them handle a lot more inbreeding than the former species.
In fact , the successful Ten Diamonds poultry plan from Australia consists of breeding father to daughter for 10 generations.
Judge Card's "in and out" breeding plan wasn't new to him. He didn't make it up, just used it judiciously. It is a plan hundreds
of years old used by breeders in multiple species to fix type while maintaining a viable gene pool which included avoiding
genetic bottlenecks caused by inbreeding.
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA.
(always cruising the classic lit for breeding help)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom