show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
Thanks Don, for your guidance. Can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to share with those of us just getting started.

Rboin

Robin, Take a good look at #83 and see if her from the rear slants to the right side.

Quote:
Hi, when most think about fantail it will be the main tail feathers well spread apart, and you will need this to develop the nice open tail with a little fluff between the two rows of main tail. Just remember the tail can be pinched vertically and horizontally.

Thanks, and I didn't realize that they could be pinched both ways, for the horizontal pinch, I'm trying to picture in my head, I guess for a lack of a better example would it look like they would be carrying there tail like horizontal Oval as opposed to a vertical Oval (normal tail shape) ??
Hope that makes sense to you.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi, when most think about fantail it will be the main tail feathers well spread apart, and you will need this to develop the nice open tail with a little fluff between the two rows of main tail. Just remember the tail can be pinched vertically and horizontally.

Thanks, and I didn't realize that they could be pinched both ways, for the horizontal pinch, I'm trying to picture in my head, I guess for a lack of a better example would it look like they would be carrying there tail like horizontal Oval as opposed to a vertical Oval (normal tail shape) ??
Hope that makes sense to you.
smile.png

The horizontal pinch would be where the two rows of main tail feathers were close up together. Vertical would be where the entire tail comes to a point with no space up or accross.

Quote:

This subject came up on this thread a couple of months ago. At that time, post #744, Don referred us to a pic on the Delaware thread. Specifically he wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't find the thread at the time, but I did find it today. Here's the link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249618&p=1099

This doesn't really explain a fan tail, but does give another example of pinched and open tails. I am guessing the fan tail concept is the teepee formed by each side of the tail feathers moves away from the top point on each side like an open fan, as opposed to being bunched up together near the top.
99689_mh83_rear_2_37_weeks.jpg

99689_mh83_right_side_1_37_weeks.jpg

In these two images, you can see her "fan" is about half formed, ie, the tail only opens down and away from the top about half as far as it should (Well maybe a little more than half.) The top of her teepee is also fairly narrow. Compare these to the Delaware link above. Theres a new hampshire with a really nice fan, (not pinched top to bottom) but she does looked pinched side to side.

Feel free to correct me, if I've botched this concept completely.

Robin

Quote:

This subject came up on this thread a couple of months ago. At that time, post #744, Don referred us to a pic on the Delaware thread. Specifically he wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't find the thread at the time, but I did find it today. Here's the link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249618&p=1099

This doesn't really explain a fan tail, but does give another example of pinched and open tails. I am guessing the fan tail concept is the teepee formed by each side of the tail feathers moves away from the top point on each side like an open fan, as opposed to being bunched up together near the top.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99689_mh83_rear_2_37_weeks.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99689_mh83_right_side_1_37_weeks.jpg
In these two images, you can see her "fan" is about half formed, ie, the tail only opens down and away from the top about half as far as it should (Well maybe a little more than half.) The top of her teepee is also fairly narrow. Compare these to the Delaware link above. Theres a new hampshire with a really nice fan, (not pinched top to bottom) but she does looked pinched side to side.

Feel free to correct me, if I've botched this concept completely.

Robin

Thankyou Don and Robin! I think I understand now.
smile.png

Quote:
It is impossible to judge a bird from a photograph. Even trying to judge from the aisle doesn't give an accurate picture. You learn a lot about a bird when it's in your hand & when you've had the opportunity to work the bird in the cage.
If you could judge from photos we could conduct shows over the internet.

Quote:
It is impossible to judge a bird from a photograph. Even trying to judge from the aisle doesn't give an accurate picture. You learn a lot about a bird when it's in your hand & when you've had the opportunity to work the bird in the cage.

The SS in Question had light brown primary feathers and way too much white in Tail and wing. The intent of this thred was to try and help people pick SS good enough to use as breeders not as show fowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

It is NOT IMPOSSIBLE to judge a bird from a photograph. SOME faults are clear in the pictures.
A photograph may not SHOW ALL faults, but SOME are clear.

The point remains that just because a bird WINS does not mean that it was PERFECT!

This thread is about identifying faults from photos.... this helps those without your years of experience and without the opportunities you have to HOLD really fine birds to learn what to cull for in their own lines.

I appreciate you visiting this thread
smile.png
I hope you will stop in again
smile.png
We will continue posting pictures and practicing our skills for identifing the good and bad of each SS per the SOP. This should be something, as a judge, that you support.
smile.png
As a judge, you know there are not nearly enough good SS out there. Most of us will never be Blessed with the opportunities that you have to travel and see the SQ SS. We will have to make do with photos
smile.png

Quote:

The SS in Question had light brown primary feathers and way too much white in Tail and wing. The intent of this thred was to try and help people pick SS good enough to use as breeders not as show fowl.

The bird in question isn't a perfect bird, few are, but she's not a bad bird. She has a nice head, good ground colour, well dispersed spangling and judging from the Australorp male behind her good size. She didn't have to be perfect to be the best Sussex at that particular show, she just had to be the best Sussex at that show in what was probably a very small class.
The wing colour fault you cite may well be a result of how the colour was represented in the photograph which is often a problem with evaluating a photo. As to the [excess] white in her tail how many points would you cut for that?
The only obvious type flaw I see is tail angle-it's too high in this photo but again the photo captures a particular moment in time & it's no indication that the bird always carries her tail too high. That's part of the judges job, to work the bird in the cage so it can be seen at it's best advantage.
If as someone said the purpose of this thread is to help people decide what birds are worth breeding from then this bird probably would be. Her apparent strengths out weigh her apparent weaknesses. [IMO]

I will clearify that I did start this thread and was the first to post pics and most of my stock is not from a hatchery.
That does not mean that it is SQ stock. None of my birds were judged with a lick as far as showing goes too.
The more and more Don showed us what the standard said the more and more I realized what he said was true about my stock.

This thread was and is about identifying the faults on birds so that we will know show quality stock when we see it.
THICK SKIN is needed to hear bad things about what is your own - - your birds, your children, your work.
NO MATTER what it is, if it is yours, then it hurts if someone says it could be better.
People do need to consider this before they say - - go ahead, tell me what you think.

Maybe we should ask " Do you want me to tell you ONLY the good" or "Do you want to hear the GOOD and the BAD"?

I wouldn't change anything that we have done on this thread. BEFORE this thread, there was no where you could go on BYC and get detail information about the SOP for SS.
I am PROUD of the work that has been done, teaching others what to look for when they go to select their own birds.
I am SORRY if folks posted birds and ASKED for commentary and did not get it. ANYONE can comment on the birds. It is an open forum .. .and folks have been encouraged to join in.
I am GLAD that you, Orange Ribbon, were able to move on when this thread no longer was meeting your needs.

It is a REALLY BIG place on BYC and this is just one ittsy bittsy thread. I welcome all that want to be here and by all means if we aren't doing it the way you would like.....feel free to visit the other threads
wink.png

There is a thread called THE Sussex Thread. It covers all sussex varities. It is a very casual place where the agenda is just to post pretty pictures of your sussex
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279509

There is a new thread dealing with how to increase the size of SS.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=604602

Here
is another thread for just posting pics of your sussex. No judging here... just awww cuteness...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=539374

If your hens are of laying age and you want to comment on their egg size, here is a thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=578610

Here is a thread where someone asks if their SS is show quality.. .
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=570811

If any of you have experience with or interest in the genetics of coloring, here is a thread dealing the ss color
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=564257

And that about covers the SS postings for the last 4 months. I hope if you can not find happiness on this thread, that one of these other threads will meet your needs.
I started this thread because there was nothing on BYC like it. It is just what I wanted. It may not be what everyone else wants, but you can always start your own thread
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom