show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
For sure! Just let me know!
smile.png

We got are first chickens in July. We got 5 Speckled Sussex partly because of research and partly because that all the feed store had left. I love them they are so pretty. In Aug when the local county fair was going we brought my mom to show her what our chicks would look like fully grown. There was NOT one Speckled Sussex there. I was very disappointed. My hubby thinks I should enter one this year but I am not sure about it. If I do I am unsure as to which one is more true to the original breed standard, or does that not really matter to a county fair?

This is my favorite one Shirley
107094_chickens_022.jpg

This is Tess
107094_chickens_007.jpg

This is Mable
107094_chickens_006.jpg

This is all 5 left to right Mable, Bess, Betty, Shirley and Tess
107094_chickens_015.jpg

Quote:
I'm really liking the top line of your pullet. Nice long back. Nice tail angle. Legs set well apart. Pretty girl. On the roo, I'm with MathAce. He looks young and I'd like to see post molt pictures. I was surprised how some of my roos lost white tail feathers and others did not. Wonder what yours did. But a puncture wound? Maybe you should just forgo the new pics and rehome that boy with some dumplings!

Robin

Quote:
Nakstk,
I am no expert, (in fact, I'm a newb) and I haven't been to a county fair on poultry judging day so I can't even offer guidance there. Just based on color though, I'd say Bess and Betty are closer to the mahogany bay noted in the standard. They also seem broader all the way from shoulders to tail than Shirley and Tess. Mable has got the thicker bodyset of Bess and Betty, and might also be good for showing, but she's got a lot of white in the wing and on her head. Please post more pics.

Welcome to the thread! This is a great place to learn about what constitutes a show quality SS.

Robin

Ok, here are some post molt pics. His color is a very rich mahogany and he has a lot less white splotches in his hackles. Also included a pic of another girl. They are harder to take pic of because they are so friendly and are always at my feet.
smile.png

68100_dscf7098.jpg

68100_dscf7093.jpg

68100_dscf7102.jpg

Quote:
Hi Nakstk, I think you have some really pretty girls there
smile.png
, I was wondering if you know where your feedstore gets their chicks from?

Last edited:
Can someone help me...I got 3 different chicks(barred, & Gold Wyan) from a local breeder. I was having a hard time deciding on the 3rd one. I thought she said the one I picked was an EE rather than a Sussex but now I think I got a sussex. She was only half feathered and small when I got her. Heres some pics...(BTW I do like the Speck Sussex better;))
106460_sussex1.jpg

106460_sussex2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom