show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Here is one of my pullets. Sorry the pic is a little blurry. She is so friendly that all i can ever get are extreme close ups.
smile.png

68100_dscf7169.jpg

Here is the young rooster. You can see the big difference in the comb size. He also like extreme close up pics.
68100_dscf7171.jpg

And his saddle feathers are already starting to take shape. He already has a deep mahogany color.
68100_dscf7172.jpg

Last edited:
oh, gorgeous pics there.
best bird i ever had was a hatchery speckled sussex, he was so friendly it was almost annoying. sadly, i gave him to someone looking for a nice roo and turns out she had sick birds and last i heard he was quite ill. i wanted to take him back but i can't risk it, don't know if i'll ever forgive myself.
hit.gif

i'll have to go back through this thread but i'd love to hatch out some speckled sussex eggs if anyone has some available, not much to be found online.

Quote:
that's fantastic! i fished up in alaska for years and can count on one hand how many chickens i came across, though inexplicably my boyfriend had a pet rooster at one point. anyway, i'd love to be put on your waiting list, thanks!

Back to the topic of Show Quality Speckled Sussex....

Anybody weighed their older birds yet?

I weighed my 7 and 8 month old hens today. The weights were low, just like I was expecting.
How about the rest of you? Any one got hens and roosters that are weighiing in at the standard of

Standard Of Perfection.....
WEIGHTS: Hen 7 lbs, Pullet 6 lbs, Cock 9 lbs, Cockerel 7 1/2 lbs.

The APA recognizes Cocks and Hens as being OVER a year old, if I am not mistaken.

Techniqually, my birds are still pullets since they are less than an year old.
Out of my 9 pullets . .. . One was over the standard and two others were within a few ounces of the standard.
The other 6 pullets were a pound or more under the standard.

CHIME in and let me know if you are finding that your stock is meeting the standard weight wise....
IF so, WHERE did you stock come from ? ? ?

Quote:
I have not had a chance to weigh my girls yet, hope to get that done sometime this week, but they have grown alot! So looking forward to seeing what they've gained.

Quote:
One of my sources of eggs weighed her cockerel and a pullet for me and the end of November the cockerel was 7.5 pounds and the pullet was 6.5 pounds. As soon as I get my hatcher problems figured out I will be getting eggs from both sources. Otherwise I will have somebody hatch them for me.

Quote:
------------
That's because the top show lines rarely sell eggs, or even young chicks. Speckled Sussex need to be culled for quality once at about 6-8 weeks and again at 12 weeks. The top show lines only sell started birds. Speckled Sussex are the most difficult of all the Sussex varieties to breed corectly because they are a tri-color variety. . Historically, that's how it's done in this variety to make sure only the best have a chance to procreate.
smile.png

Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif
Those are good weights for cockerels and pullets. Do you mind telling me which WHICH SOURCE had those nice weights ? ?
PLEASE PM me if you don't want to post that info.... Did they mention how old the cockerel and pullets were? I am wondering how close to the one year old mark they were.
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom