show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Math Ace, I have not been on BYC in a while (computer problems). i was catching up on the reading and saw a few things posted.....I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading this thread since I joined it this summer and I have learned a lot from your thread. I wouldn't have dreamed that I had anything special if I had not read your thread and posted a few pictures. thank you for your thread and THANK YOU to snowbird and the others for your helpful critiques and suggestions! My Daughter just loves her SS hen..

On a different note: How are the babies doing?

Don,
Can you please explain what "black ckecking" refers to or the color pattern or lack of that you are pointing out on #83 on page 86 of posts?
caf.gif
Thanks!

Quote:
SORRY, I didn't respond quicker...
sad.png
I missed this post some how!
hu.gif

Thank you for the post
hugs.gif
I, too, have learned so much on this thread.
I 'll send you updated photos in a few days. The cockerel has discovered how to crow.

Speaking of cockerels, With every batch of SS I have raised, I am finding that the pullets are "in your face" curious / friendly.
Every cockerel I've raised has hung back and let the ladies do all the socializing. . ..
I just seem to have to work harder, almost "WINE and DINE" the cockerels to make them as friendly as the girls.

Has any one else noticed this trait?

Quote:
SORRY, I didn't respond quicker...
sad.png
I missed this post some how!
hu.gif

Thank you for the post
hugs.gif
I, too, have learned so much on this thread.
I 'll send you updated photos in a few days. The cockerel has discovered how to crow.

Speaking of cockerels, With every batch of SS I have raised, I am finding that the pullets are "in your face" curious / friendly.
Every cockerel I've raised has hung back and let the ladies do all the socializing. . ..
I just seem to have to work harder, almost "WINE and DINE" the cockerels to make them as friendly as the girls.

Has any one else noticed this trait?

All of my speckled sussex hen have been super social and seem very smart, certainly more smart than the other breeds I have! I haven't had the opportunity to see what the Roos are like yet, sadly but hopefully this spring I will. Sandy

Can you please give me honest opinions? I have one lone survivor from the 4 SS I got 4 mos ago. The other 3 picked the wrong night to decide to sleep in the barn. I had my 12 yo close up the chickens and he didn't count them and didn't realize there were a bunch missing. (I lost 5 total that night!
sad.png
We have coons and coyotes, hard to say which, but they were gone without a trace, no feathers left or anything.) Anyway, here she is. I thought she was a boy for sure b/c she was the biggest of the 4 with the biggest comb. But it's pretty obvious she's a girl now! Just a really big girl! lol

2012-01-08%25252009.21.02.jpg

2012-01-08%25252009.23.03.jpg
2012-01-08%25252009.23.32.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get better pics. All my other chickens kept getting up in my face like Hey! What's this? Why aren't you taking MY picture??? lol

I think she's pretty good quality, considering she's hatchery. I got her from My Pet Chicken. Not sure where they get their stock. If you agree, I might get some more from them this spring if I can't get any better ones at a decent price. I don't really want to breed for show, but I do want to make sure my stock is at least decent if I'm going to let them breed just to keep that breed around on my farm. I think SS are beautiful!

Quote:
Good to have you visit mama24. Snowbird is our resident "expert" on the SS. He has a much better eye for the SOP than I do. I am not going to be able to do much evaluating because of the postions she is in. When the bird is leaning over, it changes the shape of the bird. The best pictures for evaluation of front and back and top views when the bird is standing at a normal position - - not running, leaning, etc.
That being said, I KNOW how hard it is to get those photos!
wink.png

The second photo shows a nice open tail. HOWEVER, she is leaning over. When a bird leans over, their tail expands. So, you want an open tail like the picture shows when the bird is standing normally.

Her being the BIGGEST BIRD of the four is automatically a good thing. Even though you don't want to show, decent stock for breeding should be BIG. Speckled sussex are suppose to be a dual purpose bird. At one time, they were used as an eating bird. These birds are suppose to be BIG... Think - SKINLESS BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS! Picture Dolly Parton with feathers LOL
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Do you see where I am going here? Every SS I have even seen, my first thought was "Oh, what pretty speckles". However, with the TRUE SOP speckled sussex.... You thoughts should be ...
"OMG, Boneless, skinless, chicken breast Anyone ? ? "

Whether you are showing or not, if you want to do the breed justice, BRING BACK SIZE! Big Birds, Wide butts, Wide backs, etc.

I can not say anything about the coloring .... I am not seeing mega white on her, which is a good thing. An open wing photo would be nice.
Comb doesn't look big, which is good... I can not tell anything else because the photo is blurry.

Does she normally carry her tail slightly tilted like in the second photo?

If you get a chance, feel free to post a few more photos.
smile.png

I think it looks tilted bc she was reaching to the side. It's nice and straight. And I wanted some big meaty dual purpose birds to add to my flock, so big is definitely what I'm looking for!
smile.png
4 mos old and she's bigger than my year old EE's and 3yo sexlink!!! Oh, and THIS is one of the things that makes it really hard for me to get decent pics!

409405_3056770137849_1221217193_3404329_776673983_n.jpg

We're headed off to a friend's house. Maybe I can get one of the kids to catch her later so I can get better pics!
smile.png

Not sure if "Dotty" qualifies but here is my sussex who is still quite young. She is very friendly??? Any opinions??

Not the best pictures but here she is
35748_dotty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom