show quality speckled sussex ??

I wanted to ask about obtaining SQ SOP speckled sussex eggs/chicks/juveniles or adults. I'm considering breeding them but only want the very best lines.

Please check out my web site and you will see that I'm already working with 2 breeds that at one time were near extinction, all that to say I'm a dedicated breeder that does the very best I can for the breed.

I would appreciate any flock direction you guys can give. Thanks so much

Okay, I am so upset with myself! We went to the Stockton, CA poultry show this weekend. There was a gentleman there selling chicks. My daughter begged me to buy some but we just weren't set up for chicks yet this spring. I looked at the brooders full of chicks and grabbed his flyer but that was it. I noticed that he is a master breeder who breeds to SOP and he had SS chicks for $7 per chick. I wish that I had paid more attention and taken the time to talk with him. He was busy talking to people every time I went by. Today, I looked at his flyer again and realized what a mistake I had made! The breeder was Tony Albritton, Featherhills Farms, Caldwell, Idaho. His hen is the one that won reserve champion in a show in Washington state in 2009. I would have definitely picked up a few SS chicks and pulled my brooder out of storage if I had connected the dots while I was there! I don't think that he has a website but I do have his phone number and email addy if anyone needs it.
Serious? was this the booth that had bins full of chicks?

Serious? was this the booth that had bins full of chicks?

Yes, it was that booth. I am still kicking myself for not getting some of them. My daughter begged me but I didn't give it any serious consideration. I should have listened to her! SS is one of the breeds that I want to be involved in breeding someday. Do you need any help??? :)

Omelet Ranch, please share with us if you have success through e-mail.
pop.gif
I am willing to drive to get a pair or trio even, I live in SW WA. Also, hoping he might show up with chicks at one of the two shows here in the PNW in the next two months. Already working on my chick/egg/juvie budget!!! Sounded like he did not have anything last year and when I joined this thread so did not even pursue tracking him down.

I will give the SS this - - They are excellent free rangers. On top of that, the ladies have built in camouflage for wooded or heavily leaved areas.
The marans love to be out and about, but the SS really are serious about the food hunt!

Hi, I haven't been on here in quite awhile and was reading over the recent post and just wanted to agree strongly with Math ace on the SS ability to free range they (at least mine) are very hard to spot when they are up by the trees and in the heavy tall grass (brown or green). They are also very clever at spying and avoiding predators, My 6 girls have no problem ganging up and chasing off the stray cats and other small animals that have no bussiness being in "Their" yard. The other breeds I have, I worry about, they don't seem to have the strong instincts that the SS have to survive. Sandy
smile.png

frow.gif
Hi, I'm finially going to get some SS Cockeral chicks, ( 5) around the 24 th,and I'm so excited about it! hopefully I will get at least one that will help my girls comb faults. I was wondering if for the boys you start culling at around 20 weeks like the girls or do we start earlier with the boys since the boys combs develope earlier would you cull earlier too? Thanks for the Info. Sandy.

Last edited:
Guess who is at the show I am at right now???
idunno.gif
duc.gif
I can only afford 10 but I am going to pre-order my chicks.
celebrate.gif
Tony Albritton says he is out to May for his orders but if I put an order in this weekend I should have chicks in May!!!
bow.gif
Finally. Also, when I was cleaning my show bird pen I got some photos of my feed store SS. I'll try to post them sometime in the next week. I'll share anyother news tomorrow night when I get home from the show.

Back
Top Bottom