show quality speckled sussex ??

Way to go Cow chick!! Thats wonderful!
celebrate.gif

Placed my order for 10 SS chicks.
yesss.gif
Lucky for me one of my superintendent buddies wanted some of the other breeds Tony has because he tries not to ship less that 25 chicks.
hide.gif
Because it will be a little later in the year he said that he would ship 20. We ordered 18 and he was o.k. with that. They and the shipping are paid for so I'm officially on the list.
pop.gif
Tony was very nice and I got to ask shipping questions and some show questions. He said from 10 I should be able to have a good breeding pair possibly a trio or a second pair.
celebrate.gif
He said possibly the end of April they would be ready instead of early May, depends on how his hatches go.
wee.gif

Also, saw a very nice pair of bantam SS at the show today. I had a great day at the show too! My LF Black Orpington Cock took Best of Breed and Champion English!!!
clap.gif

Hi cowchick11,
That's great news! So happy for you on all counts. When you talk to Tony again, ask him what he feeds his Sussex while they're growing. Many Sussex do well on a breed-specific diet. If he gives you his ration, just copy it for your birds since his strain is already used to it.
Best,
Karen in western PA

HELP NEEDED! PIC HEAVY!!
I've got 4 SS roosters that I hatched out and they are 4 months old now. I only want to keep 1 for breeding purposes and would like some SS expertise. I've put different colored zip ties on them so I can tell them apart. So their names are Green, White, Yellow and Black. The one I decide to keep will get a proper name.
big_smile.png

So here goes. I've taken 4 shots of each one. I can take additional ones if needed. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Green Rooster

Here's White Rooster:

Yellow Rooster:

And last, but not least, Black:

I like Green. He is nice and wide through the back. His comb appears small though and I think his tail angle may be off. Yellow has a twist in his comb and white has a bit too much white in his tail for me. I'd be afraid black has a squirrel tail but until it grows in, I'm not sure and has too much white for me. Just my opinions.

Do you have weights on these guys? A picture from behind, from straight on, and with the wing spread may help.

Beautiful birds you have there.

I personally like white and yellow the best, but I'm not that knowlegdable so will be waiting patiently for a response to see who the experts like!
caf.gif

I like Green. He is nice and wide through the back. His comb appears small though and I think his tail angle may be off. Yellow has a twist in his comb and white has a bit too much white in his tail for me. I'd be afraid black has a squirrel tail but until it grows in, I'm not sure and has too much white for me. Just my opinions.

Do you have weights on these guys? A picture from behind, from straight on, and with the wing spread may help.

Beautiful birds you have there.

Thank you for your comments, mrheinz! I will get those additional photos and will try to get a weight on them, too. I hadn't noticed the twist in Yellow's comb, just that it was a lot bigger than the others. I had noticed the white feathers in White's tail. Are these considered his "adult" feathers? Or is there a chance they will molt out and the new ones not be white?
Thanks again for your opinions.

I like the length of back on both green and white, green has good depth as well. White has a full breast. From the view of the back and shoulders I like green and yellow they seem broader than the other two.

How much of this is photo related I can't guess. But based on the pics alone I guess I would choose green and white ( two because I like to have a backup plan). Do you have weights for us? I go a lot by weight. I am trying for an 8+ pounds cockerel and a 9+ pounds roosters with my sussex and I not there yet with my speckleds. I don't like blacks tail, too high, yellow is sort of high too

Andy

Back
Top Bottom