show quality speckled sussex ??

I really wish we had some SS experts on this thread.... I don't see snowbird (Don) on BYC much any more....
I do not consider myself an expert... I am just learning like the rest of the posters on this thread.

The thing that strikes me the most is the color of these SS.... The color is so dark that is reminds me of Walnut.

I've had SS breeders tell me that the really good SS have very distinctive coloring. I've had other folks (Judges) tell me that the color does not translate into photos well. Still, I've had other folks with computer experience tell me that each monitor will distort the color differently. I say all this because until I see a really good SS in PERSON, I don't truly know what "Mahogany" color we are looking for! I've been to several shows and have yet to see a REALLY GOOD example of an SS. That is not my personal opinion. I am just going by what won awards and what didn't.
smile.png

Karen, you seem to know a bit about the SS.... What do you think about the color of these SS.... Is this the Mahogany that we are looking for or is it a little too dark with chocolate undertones as opposed to having red undertones OR does it really matter at all?

Cowchick11.....What kind of lighting were you using when you took these photos? Natural lighting or with a flash.... Are the photos a good representation of their true color?

Hi,
The bird in the upper photo has way too much black in the feathers. The feathers should be mahogany with a thin band of black separating the white tip from the mahogany. The band of black should be thin. The three colors should be sharp and distinct from one another. None of them bleeding into any of the othe colors. If you have a Barnes and Noble near you, there is a book in the woodworking section called "Wood". It's a pictorial album of every species of wood done in true color for woodwrkers. Look up "Mahogany" to see what we are striving for.
A Red Sussex is a Speckled Sussex without the white tipping. If you can find a fine Red Sussex cock of proper coloring, Mate him to your girls so they won't be so gay. Gay= too much white on the body. Should also help rid the extra black to an extent. Then mate the daughters from that breeding to a properly colored Large Fowl Speckled Sussex cock from Overton, Walt Reichart or AlBritton.
That should solve a lot of problems. Straighten out the color issues and do some major repairs to body type. If you use cocks from Overton, Reichart or Albritton, you are assured your boy came from a hen of proper breed type and coloring. ( because these lines have been linebred for uniformity). This is important because the cock passes on a notable number of characteristics he gets from his dam. Using Red Sussex with your Speckled Sussex will also keep you in the eWh locus. This will save a lot of winnowing out color problems due to mixing locuses. The folks mxing Silver and Light Sussex have this problem because Silver is Birchen locus and Light is eWh locus. Looks like a good cross on the outside, but sets up all kinds of heterozygous problems when they are crossesd.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Contact info andexcellent breed examples lifted from around the Net.

Walt Reichert 502-722-2951 [email protected] KY Speckled Sussex
scroll down to see Walt's Reserve Champion English SS hen:
http://www.poultryconnection.com/forums/showthread.php?657-Lucasville-Results
================================
http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html
Color is color, whether Large Fowl or Bantam. Here is superb color from
Skytop Speckled Sussex Bantams. Skytop are APA Master Breeders of Speckled Sussex bantams. Look at the superb breed type ion Lilly and the stunning breed type & coloring on Sprinkles.
http://washingtonfeatherfanciers.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=65367349
Reserve Champion English Speckled Sussex By Tony Albritton in Washington.

Feather hill farms hatchery

master breeder and exhibitor and hall of fame poultry man. His name is Tony Albritton.
phone 509-465-9405 email: [email protected]
Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classifieds&action=display&thread=1718#ixzz1qv948RqK
ABA, APA Judge Gary Overton of Ohio. Can find his contact info in the Judges Directory of Poultry Press.
Over 35 years experience judging livestock. Has been called, "Mr. Sussex".
"Visitng USA Fancier's Homes" by Mike Hatcher
Scroll down to see article on visit to Overton's and pic of Overton Speckled Sussex. (PDF FILE)
http://www.todaywebsitedesigns.com/files/ffusaexample2.pdf

Last edited:
Karen, Thanks again for an informative post!
smile.png

Thanks for the tip on the woodworking book..... How about really good Red Sussex? Do you know of anyone breeding them?
I did some searches in the past and was unable to find a breeder that had the color and build correct for a red sussex. Not to mention, they seem harder to find in the US than the speckled sussex!

THANKS for posting the pic. That helps clarify the color question... Check out the ear tufts... mostly mahgonay with a dash of white.

My Show bantam sussex are starting to loose some feathers with this unseasonably warm weather were having here in ga. But the hen is still laying strong. :) I have 8 eggs in the bator and hoping they all hatch.

Hi Math Ace,

Here are some updated pictures of some of my SS girls .

I tried to get clearer pics but they just would not co-operate with me! The last picture is not one of the pullet she is my 3 and 1/2 year old I like her build pretty good but she just keeps getting more white all the time. All of these girls are just a tad over 7 lbs by an ounce or 2 except Uno who is pretty close to 8 lbs.

Last edited:
Hi Math Ace,

Here are some updated pictures of some of my SS girls .

I tried to get clearer pics but they just would not co-operate with me! The last picture is not one of the pullet she is my 3 and 1/2 year old I like her build pretty good but she just keeps getting more white all the time. All of these girls are just a tad over 7 lbs by an ounce or 2 except Uno who is pretty close to 8 lbs.

Getting more white as they age is typical and expected from the ss
smile.png
I guess this would be a good reason to chose the pullets with less white. That way you will have a longer show life out of them. Absolutely fantastic weights on your hens. Is the 3 1/2 hen still laying?

Last edited:
Yes she still lays about 4 eggs a week so far this year but has slowed down since last year. Ive only hatched out one of her eggs on an accident but unfortunately Her daughter was fathered by a Salmon Fav. but she is beautiful but she makes her mom look like a pimple compared to her, she is built just like the SS, But Huge, but she got her dads 5 toes. So I think that if I can find the perfect male for her (very dark,large, with correct comb.) she could really makes some big girls.

I just noticed I posted the same picture twice sorry!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the additional pic of the hen. I wanted to see if the hen had the black tip tail feathers...
Hey Karen, I just got to thinking.... Is this a sussex thing, the black tail thing? ? ? The buff , light and speckled sussex all have the black tail trait. Is it a trait of all sussex?

I want to point out to every one reading that chickenfarmer1231 has BANTAM SS. They look smaller than stormlady's 7 lb hens because they are smaller.
Bantams are about 1/2 the size of a standard large fowl SS....

Here you go math ace, all i have at the moment is a side view. You can see the type on the hen pretty good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom