show us your duck ponds!!

Yes, coons are very bad here...They can drown a dog...my grandpa used to raise Blue Tick hounds, for hunting with. One of his was drowned by a coon. Mean and nasty critters! We want to dig the pond out largerm and deeper...maybe then we will get a few more ducks, and try again! They will have an Island...but coons are great swimmers...so, will have to just waite and see.

Thanks Sara...the 50 + goldfish in there think so too. 2 years ago....I put 7 goldfish in there, to help with skeeters....BOY do they BREED!!! Hmmmm, can a person eat goldfish? These are HUGE! J/K.....I would never eat a goldfish....LOL

Mines just a plastic kiddie pool...but they love it all the same...If I move the ramp though...it takes them a few days to figure out "where" it went!
gig.gif

I've recently trimmed the willow and moved the pond to a spot that has part sun....

here's the pic
PICT6631.jpg

PS... I also lost the two females (shown swimming) to coons- my bad for not locking the coop! I did just find four the other day as the male was just "lost" without any duck friends and really was not a very good rooster (hahah...he really was trying to be a chicken--that's how lonely he was). He's taken to being the daddy of the four young ones (I'm sure it's out of sheer lonelyness and not any kind of "paternal" instict...they're all still peeping but one is just starting to quack, so I have at least one female in the group. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute following him around! DH also got to watch the male teaching the four young ones to go up the ramp to the coop....wish I'd been there to see that!!!

Sandra

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess they don't have racoons down your way! I guess you should be considered lucky. Racoons are excellent swimmers and I have heard that they can drown a dog by luring them in the water and getting on their heads. I don't know if this is true or not. Racoons are probably very prevelent everywhere here in the U.S.. They are everywhere, even in the city. They are the biggest thorn to most chicken farmers.

My husband is a coon hunter and yes they can drowned a dog rather easily. I also have a pet raccoon that lives in the house and they are amazing swimmers. The only way to protect ducks from raccoons in a raccoon filled enviroment is to make sure they are in a secure inclosure at night.

My runners are friendly until I walk too close...then they think I'm going to kill them!!!!
th.gif

If I throw a nice big juicy slug to them....they'll come running towards me, until they realize they're too close and turn around thinking I'm going to kill them!!
gig.gif

They ARE the most hillarious duck breed ever!
lau.gif

Does anyone have a pond that has a drain in the bottom of it? I have a LARGE kiddie pool and when its full of water its almost impossible to flip over. Im just trying to get some ideas for a new "pond" to set up this winter.

My kiddie pools have a plug, so instead of flipping them all the time I put my hand in to try and find the plug "yucky"
and undo it then i place a small heavy rock over the flap of the plug and then get a tennis ball and stick it under the pond so it is 1/4 under the plug hole., Then it drains out quickly!!!

Back
Top Bottom