Ducks Won't Go Into the Pond

ducktalk

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all! I haven't been on here in a couple years and laughed to see that my last post was "ducks won't come OUT of the water!" 😂 Sadly since then we lost all of our ducks (f&^*&^ mink!).

About 6 weeks ago we got 5 new female Cayuga ducklings. We started out with them inside in a brooding box until they were big enough to go outside, at which point we put them within a gated area within in our regular duck pen (so they couldn't go into the pond before they were old/big enough). Our pond is decently large, completely fenced in, and is continuously fed by runoff from our artesian well. Past ducks have loved it and preferred to spend most of their time in there.

Last week we finally removed the inner pen so that they could enjoy the pond, but they will absolutely not go in. They have a poultry waterer AND a little splashing pool (just a kitty litter box with water), so hydration isn't an issue. We have mink traps out and game cameras that are motion activated so we have not had any land-predators, and the pond is loaded with frogs and tadpoles so likely no unseen aquatic predators.

I think they are just very cautious, but I also hate that they aren't enjoying the magic that is ducks in water. I was considering getting duck decoys to put in to entice them in, and was wondering if anyone else has used this method, or if it's just a wait and see game.

Truly appreciate all your thoughts, thank you!

If they've never been in a pond, this is probably very scary to them. Give them time to get used to the new 'freedoms'. And as Miss Lydia said, there could still be snappers in there. Just because there are frogs doesn't mean there aren't predators.

Welcome back!

Maybe they have seen snapping turtles they would be very leery of going into the pond if they did.
Just today we had this post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/snapping-turtle-attack.1582892/#post-26894177
It's definitely possible! We live in the woods so honestly I would never say it definitely isn't the case, though in the 6 years we've lived here we haven't seen any snapping turtles anywhere nearby or in the pond. And since the mink attack(s) we've been very much on top of anything new in the pond (hence the motion activated cameras lol).

ours went through a weird stage (I think closer to 7-9 weeks) where they refused to go in the pond (after having previously been in it) someone mentioned a weird teenage phase. Honestly just give it time and they’ll probably come around.

Back
Top Bottom