Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
Nice nest boxes!

Here's the one my hubby just built!

This is the outside view of the box, the top lid opens for easy egg retrieval, and has two latches to secure it from predators.

The view from outside with the lid open.

This is the vieew from inside the coop. We put down tarp with velcro that can be removed and cleaned if needed, and used plastic dish pans inside each little box. (the eggs inside it are dummy ceramic eggs.)

Not bad on the first day. One pecked out of total of 7 eggs. The mesh drawers made them easy to clean just blow on it.

I still need to make curtains to each box.

This is a reply to little bits, I think what you have done is awesome. I've never tried building anything before because I didn't think I could. I was wrong, I'm having so much fun building it my little chicken coop will probably be more of a chicken palace when I'm finished.

Has anyone ever used baskets as nesting boxes? Like, the woven ones? We have access to a bunch of them and I thought it might be fun and different touse them. Any suggestions?

Has anyone ever used baskets as nesting boxes? Like, the woven ones? We have access to a bunch of them and I thought it might be fun and different touse them. Any suggestions?

Why not? That's actually a great nesting material as long as it's stable and fastened to something so you won't lose the eggs falling off. I used inexpensive plastic flower pots for nesting and it worked.

Does anyone have issues with hens moving the eggs out of the nesting box and any ideas how to fix it?
I have wooden eggs, one in each box. And sometimes when I get home from work there are two eggs in one box and no eggs in the other one. And sometimes there is one egg just out in the coop and not in the box. I think they're playing soccer!

Woven baskets would not be very cleanable in the instance of a broken egg or poop on them.....
and like mentioned above, they need to be fastened down and stable, if bird can't stand on the edge of it without it tipping over, don't use it.

Woven baskets would not be very cleanable in the instance of a broken egg or poop on them.....
and like mentioned above, they need to be fastened down and stable, if bird can't stand on the edge of it without it tipping over, don't use it.

2x on logistic of cleaning so you probably have to line it up with lots of beddings or straws so when eggs break get absorbed by thick beddings.

Didn't get through the 57pages of forums so this may have been mentioned.

Has anyone tried building a setup like this...

putting a roost with the sand poo catch on top.
89a88f888289af004e2b4613d7df3ab4.jpg

row or two of nesting boxes

brooder pen / quarantine area at the bottom.

Also anyone have luck with the buckets or plastic bins?

Back
Top Bottom