Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
Just wanted to say that these have been great! I wanted to post ours but hubbie thinks he is not nearly as good with wood as some of these guys are
tongue.png
Ours is 2 rows of wooden boxes.

This is my favorite nest box. It is an antique roll out nest box I got at a farm auction for $20. It is a community nest. The hens go in the hole on the end, lay their eggs, then the eggs roll out to the front. I don't even have to go in the coop to pick them up. The eggs stay cleaner and I don't have to worry about someone getting the idea they like to eat eggs. The funny part is that I have several BC marans hens that want to go broody in there. It's not working too well for them. Their eggs keep rolling out.
gig.gif

68749_p1000097.jpg
[/img]

This is one of the nests I built. I used all scrap lumber, so it didn't really cost me anything. It is a 10 hole nest, which is way more than they need in the small pen this is in. I don't think they ever used more than 3 of the nests. When I get time, perhaps this winter, I'm going to convert it to a roll out nest.
68749_011.jpg
[/img]

When I get my new poultry breeder barn done, I plan to use a different kind of nest. We live on a farm, so we get a few 5 gallon buckets from oil, hydraulic fluid, etc. I will use the buckets, but I am going to make it so they fit through the wire into the coop, and the back of the bucket will be "valved" so it will work like a roll out nest. I've got a couple of them made, and they work great. I still want to "tweak" them a little so they look better. Now I just need to get the barn built to put them in!

Quote:
Love the old nest with the roll out for the eggs. You are really busy with building things!! I'm jealous because I always get ideas but do not own one power tool and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. Good luck with the barn.

Back
Top Bottom