Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
My kids eat lots of clementines/mandarins and I started collecting the wooden boxes, originally for planters ... until I got more chickens ... and needed nesting boxes.

So I built the frame from leftover lumber and screwed the boxes to it. They're on the small side (8" wide by 12" long) so I left an inch gap between them. The girls have been interested to explore them and sit in them as they prepare to lay in the next month or two! (I hope)

The ceiling of this side of the coop is translucent corrugated plastic/fiberglass ... I'm working on the theory that light encourages laying!

I recently changed from regular old wooden box type nests to this:

Hook over livestock feeders. They're sturdy, heavy plastic. They hang over any 2-by type of board. They have holes in the top where you can put screws through into the board they hang on for added stability if needed, but have been fine without it for me. I did put a second 2x4 behind them for the bottom end of the bin to rest against to give it added stability and hold them up a little straighter.

Makes for easy cleaning, just dump them out, hose and scrub them down, hang them back up.

Last edited:
So now I will jump on any furniture that can be re-used as a nesting box (provided it fits in the chicken shed LOL)
wee.gif

Here are the nests in the corner of my still under construction coop. I tried putting the nest entrances in a variety of places that will be somewhat away from the roosts.

And my experiment with using artificial turf in the nests. Maybe they'll eat it but we'll see. I'm still a ways away from the chickens moving into it.

Back
Top Bottom