Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
I was going to put in a regular looking set of nesting boxes, but I had the idea of just using some wicker baskets secured on some shelves I have around. Nothing between them though.
Would they be 'concerned' that the others would be able to see them?

I was going to put in a regular looking set of nesting boxes, but I had the idea of just using some wicker baskets secured on some shelves I have around. Nothing between them though.
Would they be 'concerned' that the others would be able to see them?

Maybe but you always create canopies over each basket with some fabric to give them more privacy

We'll see if they like it! Haven't started laying yet just about 16 weeks old but it gives them security it's flimsy and slippery enough so they don't try to perch on top.

This is to much? Do I need to close it off some? dived the room into 2? My buff's are about 24 weeks old and still no eggs. I live in Arizona maybe its the heat?? Thank You for you advice as Im NEW to this. Kids are all grow

n and on their own I need a hobby. And what fun it has been so far

This is to much? Do I need to close it off some? dived the room into 2? My buff's are about 24 weeks old and still no eggs. I live in Arizona maybe its the heat?? Thank You for you advice as Im NEW to this. Kids are all grow

n and on their own I need a hobby. And what fun it has been so far
Glenda
welcome-byc.gif
Yeah, some of mine are 6 mo old and still no eggs. Some just lay later. It happens. Cute little coop. What type of predator protection do you have. Hardware Cloth? You can find it at WalMart for $58 for 3' tall 50' roll. Cheap at the price. Chickens are wonderful stress relievers and so much fun. Check out the different threads and learn all you can. I ferment my feed and it helps with the budget and their health.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...eid=cricpa123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
I thought these totes may work...If I can pop off the clear front? Any input?

Hey Erica,
welcome-byc.gif
They would be good. I also had thought to buy the 18 gallon totes from WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

I bought 6 and have been using them for feed but I saw someone had used a box knife and cut a square about 10" sq. on the left side of the front. About 4" high for a step. This would get you a community nest with about 2 or 3 in there at the same time. I decided not to because I live in the deep south La and the heat would kill them at laying time. Right now I have them on a shelve that's 2' high and in a 6" high container that holds cokes. About 18"x28" or so. They do well with it and being black they don't seem to mind that I don't have it covered yet. The only concern for your totes is if you are in the south. You need something with air flowing threw. Where are you and what kind of chickens are you getting? Large? or small?

Hi Glenda,

I have fence on 2 sides and netting on one so they can be watched from the patio. Then I have netting across the top with a trap over the netting to protect from the hot Arizona sun and to provide shade. I also have 2 box fans that are always on and a 6' long mister.

Back
Top Bottom