Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics

Still need to put the slanted roof over the top and figure out some sort of a walkway in front of the boxes. Hopefully the older hens have no problem transitioning to the new house and boxes
hmm.png
smile.png
A flat 2x4 would work nicely. Take the plastic boxes out while you install it, and secure with screws from that side.

Update from Post #105: It worked! We got our first egg today at 21 week. The egg rolled to one corner of the nest box for easy retrieval. I put a white wooden egg in each nest box for the past several weeks, and insulated the bottom of the ramps. Temperature last night and this morning was in the low 30s, the egg was slightly cold but not frozen.

Seems to work fine I have seen 5 birds in it at the same time. I have 12 hens laying 8-10/day

Thought I would toss mine in here as well. It is 33 inches tall, 38 inches wide with a 48 inch top and 15 deep. Took about 1/2 a day to make and about 60 dollars in cost. I had to add anti tip boards to help keep the dishpans from tipping when a hen steps on the edge.

Scrap lumber of all kinds, with a couple of cedar stump logs as the roost/step up into the nests....

And the outside access....

Another, single nest, also made of scrap lumber and has an outside access door.....

Outside access door of the single nest before the painting of the coop and final touches.....

Free, scrap lumber is my friend.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom