Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

I have to be careful here in the desert. Last year I lost my favorite light brahma/americana hen when her plastic nest box tipped over and she baked to death before I noticed. I was soo upset. I'm now using cat litter boxes with vents and huge rocks in the back of the to stabilise them. My new nest boxes are made of wood with hardware clothe vents in the side. I'm also transitioning into lighter weight hens that tolerate the heat better.

Barb

Boy howdy ya'll come up with some good ideas, it seems having chickens will make one do that!
roll.png
great pics ya'll, keep'em coming folks!

Mawchickkidie

Quote:
Oh man that's so sad! :aww

Just a couple weeks ago I went out for my evening chores and one of the nest boxes( I use covered cat boxes too) was tipped over...door side flat against the floor. I thought.... oh some girls were gettting rowdy today...I put it up right and a hen come RUNNING out of there...poor girl, I was shocked!

Folks be aware of this issue when useing them.

I don't have any pictures uploaded on the computer to post (as I don't even have an avatar yet!!).
But in our coop we brought in an old tool/parts shelving. It's roughly 8 feet long and 4 feet high. There are 3 shelves and each shelve has roughly 5 boxes in it. It was originally for tools or parts in the shop. Then I was at goodwill one day and there was a hand made wooden doll house (half of one anyway). It has 2 leves. The ground level had 2 rooms and the upper level has 3 rooms. (some of the smaller chickens try and walk through the doors). Other than that we have 2 five gal. buckets with a whole cut in the side. Depending on the birds mood they seem to pick any of the spots to lay there eggs.

Then again I can go in the coop and there could be a nest right on the ground....I think they just appear over night, cuz I know it wasn't there earlier.
Shawna

Forgot to add......
The chickens can go outside into a large outdoor pen all year (although this winter they were not to adventrous). Out side they have a large run starts out about 11 feet high and slops to about 4 feet high. It's about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. eventually I will let them free range, this is just the coop to get them used to there new homes....

Last edited:
Gotta go with some bucket nests. we made some Wooden nests (sqaures) kinda like i saw in pics above. and hens will lay in the buckets before the wooden ones. not sure why. buckets make great nests though

Back
Top Bottom