Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
i finished my nest boxes yesterday. they're not in the coop yet because the coop isn't finished, but i pick away at little projects as i get to them.

there are actually four of these and i'll mount them on the wall in the coop with one continuous perch:

nestboxes.jpg

all materials were found, including the screws i used to attach the 1x2 wood scraps. that makes these boxes FREE!
big_smile.png

thought it would be a good thread to revive, as i am trying to redo our nest boxes- looking at the bucket idea- how many nests for 20 hens, and on the floor or raised??

I built external nest boxes to save room in the henhouse. It was really easy.

76677_dsc_0092_resize.jpg

76677_dsc_0089_resize.jpg

76677_inside_thermometer.jpg

The inside dimensions ended up being a little smaller than I wanted but I didn't follow any plans so my measurements didn't take into account the thickness of the materials (rookie mistake, I know). The dimensions are 11.5" wide x 11.5" deep x 15" high at the entrance sloping back to 11" high at the back of the boxes. I have an extra one down below (under the henhouse but enclosed in the run). Here is a pic of that one:

76677_nestbox_below_2.jpg

Note: the above pic was taken before the coop was finished. There is now hardware cloth all around...

I have a question about the location of the nest boxes and thought it might get answered in this thread. I will be putting about 4 nest boxes in my 8X12 coop and wondered if it would be ok to put them on the same wall as the roosts as long as they are under the poop board which will overhang them? Anyone see any problems with this?

Quote:
sounds to me like you need to work on your chicken math, whatcha mean you don't have that many chickens???
lau.gif

mine are pretty straight forward, 12x12, hung so i can access them from outside. the second pic shows DW sliding out the 'poop floor' to clean.
58569_100_0421.jpg

58569_100_0424.jpg

Quote:
Thank you, cptbahama, for the pics!

We are in the process of building our nestboxes and they will look almost identical to yours.

Your pics have helped me get a visual of what I'm trying to do.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom