Showing Seramas

ozeke23

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 4, 2015
I am interested in getting seramas. My kids want to show them at our local county fair, no big competitions. I wanted to enter them in breed class. Ive had a few breeders tell me that Seramas arent specific to any color/variation. When I visit the American Serama Association website, there is a list of all the variations that are recognized. So, Im just confused. If my kids show a serama in breed class that is of mixed variations, would they be wasting their time??

Our local show will only accept birds that are recognized by the APA or ABA. So check the rules of your show and then you will know if you can show them at yours. Then you want to select birds and breed to the Standard of Perfection to the breed.

OKay, thanks alot. I will just try to get a serama that is of one variety, not mixed. The poultry leader said the judge may or may not mark the serama down for being mixed, it would be a preference of the judge. Im just having a hard time getting Serama eggs off the interent because when I ask if the chicks from the eggs to be hatch would be mixed or of one variety.... either they dont have a clue what Im talking about or they say it doesnt matter. I had a seller tell me that breeding two white Seramas together doenst gaurentee that youll get an all white serama baby chick.

I don't know of any Serama clubs that encourage breeding for specific varieties. Most actually discourage it. They will tell you that birds of proper varieties are of lower quality, or that ABA breeding is beyond the capabilities of most breeders. It is possible to get the Serama to breed true, but it will not be easy to find one that has been bred for a specific variety. You may find a bird that most nearly fits a variety description, but expect to spend several generations getting consistency. Good luck!

I had looked into showing Seramas not too long ago and found a list of APA recognized breeds and varieties. On there it said that white was the only recognized variety. Here it is..

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF Forms/APA Recognized Breeds and Varieties Sept2012.pdf

It is from 2012, but I am pretty sure it is still accurate, it is still linked on their website.

I would assume that, like Silkies, you could show any other color as AOV but I am not positive

Thanks a lot for the input! I wonder are Seramas the only breed that has this color/variety issue?

Although white is the only ABA/APA recognized variety of Serama, one can show any variety. The complication with this breed, though, is that very few enthusiasts are separating varieties when they mate their birds. The result is a flock full of Seramas that don't fit any written description. For example, this bird did decent at Serama-only shows, but there is not a single variety she even approximates. Mottled buff maybe, but that's not a real thing in any breed. Shows that are governed by the ABA or APA don't tend to respect such breeding, and your bird may not do well there. It you are in doubt about what will be acceptable at your show, try to find a nice pair that you will be able to call something, like white, black, wheaten, etc.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of white Serama's today.
celebrate.gif
I couldn't believe it when I saw them. I can't wait to see what they produce
jumpy.gif

OKay, thanks alot. I will just try to get a serama that is of one variety, not mixed. The poultry leader said the judge may or may not mark the serama down for being mixed, it would be a preference of the judge. Im just having a hard time getting Serama eggs off the interent because when I ask if the chicks from the eggs to be hatch would be mixed or of one variety.... either they dont have a clue what Im talking about or they say it doesnt matter. I had a seller tell me that breeding two white Seramas together doenst gaurentee that youll get an all white serama baby chick.
I would agree with that seller because it also depends on the genetics. So when your breeding you remove birds with traits you don't want and improve your breed by only breeding with the traits that you do want. Like only breeding birds of the same color and not using birds that are not the same color.

I had looked into showing Seramas not too long ago and found a list of APA recognized breeds and varieties. On there it said that white was the only recognized variety. Here it is..

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF Forms/APA Recognized Breeds and Varieties Sept2012.pdf

It is from 2012, but I am pretty sure it is still accurate, it is still linked on their website.

I would assume that, like Silkies, you could show any other color as AOV but I am not positive
I have also heard that the only recognized variety is white. However, the American Serama Association (ASA) accepts all varieties. I have personally never owned a white serama, but I still have not had an issue with showing them.

Back
Top Bottom