"Shrink wrap" vs. "Sticky chick"?

Quote:
Summarizing again and still trying to get things clear:

Shrink wrapped: before pipping, both inner and out membranes dry tight around the chick; caused by too little humidity throughout incubation - based on SteveH & Laree's observations
Sticky chick: after pipping, the liquids dry becoming glue-like followed by concrete-like; caused by too little humidity during lockdown
Wet sticky or Swollen: the chick is swollen with water or simply very wet and sticky; caused by too high humidity throughout incubation
Drowning: the whitish outer membrane is dry while the clearish inner membrane is wet, binding the chick; caused by literal drowning - but how??? when???
Chicks experiencing more than one of the extreme conditions can exhibit multiple issues.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'd love to get these concepts nailed-down.

riiight. Because we're a group who can nail down ANYTHING, except for a new coop ;P

I thought that drowning was when the chick pips through the inner membrane and hits not air, but water. The air cell has water in it.

Of course, I've only hatched once, and only one egg was fertile, - so I definitely don't know what I am doing!

Quote:
Yeaaah.... I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be overly optimistic, but, hey - it's worth a shot.
wink.png

Quote:
(Edited because I think I understand this differently now)
So, are you saying that they drown because the air cell is too small? What conditions would cause a small aircell? Some have said that too high humidity during incubation results in a swollen chick. Is this some variation on that, resulting from too high humidity during incubation?

Last edited:
The only way I know that water collects in the air cell if the humidity is close to 100%. As the incubator warms an cools as it cycles on an off condensation happens on the cooling legs of the cycle. Over time that condensation can collect in places. The air sack is one of those places. So that can happen but most people should never see it happen.....

Dont even get threw an ya changed the question. lol....

Yes the air cell being to small is a high humidity/low ventilation issue.

Back
Top Bottom