"Shrink wrap" vs. "Sticky chick"?

Quote:
I assume this is because you are in Phoenix, AZ.

In more humid places it takes real work to shrink wrap a chick before pip. It can happen very fast after though. They can also get to dry an sticky but not actual shrink wrap. But I think the op was talking about wet sticky. When your humidity is to high for days one threw 18 the chick can swell from the extra water an get stuck. In bad cases they drowned but in other cases they stick just like shrink wrap but they are wet an slimy. I am starting to think that humidity over 80% at hatch can cause a wet sticky like issue but its mainly because of high humidity the first 18 days.

Dry stuck/stickey/shrink-wrap can be because of to little humidity day 1 threw 18 but for most of us it is usually a to low at hatch time issue.

Quote:
ALL of the incubation, usually. It takes a while for the membrane to lose that much moisture. ...I think.

ETA: I am going to stick by this one, as I have eggtopsied eggs I KNOW were dead at lockdown. Even the ones that died at day 10 had the shrink-wrapped look as in the earlier picture I posted.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lockdown.

I think the wet shrink-wrapping needs another name. Thoughts?

Rebel: do you have any input?

The problem is that all these terms are just slang terms that dont always mean the same thing to everyone. Its also hard to tell one hatch issue from another. Drowning is a term used all the time when there is no way to actually know if the chick was just wet stuck an did not hatch or actually drowned.

I think one of the collage papers calls wet stuck "swollen chick" or something like that.

Quote:
True they are slang, but since we are a community of pleebs who help each other out to the best of our "seat of the pants" ability, can we not create a good, descriptive slang term? Or even find the correct collegiate descriptor and make it part of our idiomatic hatching lexicon?

Quote:
Lockdown.

I think the wet shrink-wrapping needs another name. Thoughts?

Rebel: do you have any input?

You know they are two layers. Mine had BOTH layers dry and I call that shrink wrapped. When the outer layer is dry and the inner is wet, to me that is drowning. Also, you and I have the same climate, and I know we both use about 35-45% during days 1-18 and 50% ish during lockdown. That is why I say it is during lockdown that the dryness occurs. When my hygrometer is acting right, I never have this problem.

Excellent point. So for you, shrink-wrapping only involves the (white) outer membrane, not the (clearish) inner membrane?

Back
Top Bottom