MAchicken105

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
MA
My Coop
My Coop
First time hatching chicks!

I’m on day 19 on a clutch of 8 seramas being hatched out by a first time broody. I have to take her off the nest 3 times a day to eat and poop as she refuses to leave her eggs. When doing the second check this afternoon I noticed a tiny pip hole and got excited. I read seramas can hatch early. Taking a look at it this evening and the hole is bigger, upon inspection the chick is still completely in the sack and when I barely touched the hole it crumbled. I’m guessing she might have stepped in it causing the ‘pip’ hole with her nail and it progressed as the day went on.

I put the egg back under her and now I’m nervous this chick will become shrink wrapped. There is no chick sounds or movement from what I can tell. I don’t have an incubator. Any advice?

Attachments

• ACA9D528-FD51-48E0-9890-21A2C56795CC.jpeg
    ACA9D528-FD51-48E0-9890-21A2C56795CC.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
First time hatching chicks!

I’m on day 19 on a clutch of 8 seramas being hatched out by a first time broody. I have to take her off the nest 3 times a day to eat and poop as she refuses to leave her eggs. When doing the second check this afternoon I noticed a tiny pip hole and got excited. I read seramas can hatch early. Taking a look at it this evening and the hole is bigger, upon inspection the chick is still completely in the sack and when I barely touched the hole it crumbled. I’m guessing she might have stepped in it causing the ‘pip’ hole with her nail and it progressed as the day went on.

I put the egg back under her and now I’m nervous this chick will become shrink wrapped. I don’t have an incubator. Any advice?
Try putting a piece of masking or painter's tape over the hole.
It doesn't look like a pip, it looks like damage.

Try putting a piece of masking or painter's tape over the hole.
It doesn't look like a pip, it looks like damage.
It definitely looks like damage. Will the chick still be able to hatch with tape on it?

If it lives I’ll call it ‘Tape’

Attachments

• 5FEA55A8-148F-465D-AF5C-484CEE85021F.jpeg
    5FEA55A8-148F-465D-AF5C-484CEE85021F.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
It definitely looks like damage. Will the chick still be able to hatch with tape on it?

If it lives I’ll call it ‘Tape’
You did a great job. You may decide to assist it when it internally pips.
On day 20 candle it to see when it internally pips. When it does try to carefully take off the tape.
It may hatch on it's own, or it may need help when the time comes.

You did a great job. You may decide to assist it when it internally pips.
On day 20 candle it to see when it internally pips. When it does try to carefully take off the tape.
It may hatch on it's own, or it may need help when the time comes.
Do you have a good video suggestion to watch so I can see what they look like when they internally pip? I’ll probably spend my night YouTubing it anyways.

So appreciative of the help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25395140
Looks like I should do an internal pip video... ;)
Question for you if you don’t mind :D

1 hatched this afternoon and 4 others have pipped so I candled the remaining 3 including the taped one. One egg has internally pipped the other hasn’t and the taped one hasn’t either.

I took off the tape carefully to check it and the membrane was dry at the very top so I put Vaseline on it carefully with a Qtip and put the tape back on.

When I was applying the Vaseline there was zero movement…is this normal? Or is the chick already gone?

As for the other egg that hasn’t internally pipped I can’t even tell if there’s a chick in there or not. I put everyone back under to wait to see what happens.

Really appreciate the help! :bow

Attachments

• F03CD891-24AB-4292-9BCE-F9C85E49C0C5.jpeg
    F03CD891-24AB-4292-9BCE-F9C85E49C0C5.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 17
Question for you if you don’t mind :D

1 hatched this afternoon and 4 others have pipped so I candled the remaining 3 including the taped one. One egg has internally pipped the other hasn’t and the taped one hasn’t either.

I took off the tape carefully to check it and the membrane was dry at the very top so I put Vaseline on it carefully with a Qtip and put the tape back on.

When I was applying the Vaseline there was zero movement…is this normal? Or is the chick already gone?

As for the other egg that hasn’t internally pipped I can’t even tell if there’s a chick in there or not. I put everyone back under to wait to see what happens.

Really appreciate the help! :bow
Cute baby chick. 😍
The broken one with no movement probably died, sometimes there's nothing you can do. You could put your finger through the hole and press gently. If the chick doesn't move then it's dead. Not every chick lives and you did everything you could do.

Back
Top Bottom