Sick baby chick

rustychick2000

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
I recently got a shipment of baby chicks. I noticed today that one of the austrolorp babies started acting funny. He stands with his eyes closed and let's his head slump. Please help A.S.A.P.

Excuse me

Ignore that other post. What is your brooder set up? Chicks can fall asleep any time, in the middle of any activity. Do you have a thermometer in your brooder? Are the chicks eating and drinking well?
Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

I have them in a box in my kitchen. I don't plan on keeping them there for more than another week. I have a setup meant for baby chicks at my barn but I have to wait till the cold weather breaks. They are all eating well. I do not have a thermometer. I have a heat lamp in the box with a towel over it to keep the heat in. I know it's not the broader because I always use this method and it always works and he is the only sick chick and I do not want to lose it.

I have them in a box in my kitchen. I don't plan on keeping them there for more than another week. I have a setup meant for baby chicks at my barn but I have to wait till the cold weather breaks. They are all eating well. I do not have a thermometer. I have a heat lamp in the box with a towel over it to keep the heat in. I know it's not the broader because I always use this method and it always works and he is the only sick chick and I do not want to lose it.

Look at the naval and make sure it is healing well. It should not be swollen, mushy or smelly. Check for pasty butt. That's a chick killer, clean off vent and coat with vasaline if it's pasty butt. Make sure that chick is drinking. Check it's poop color, it should look similar to the feed. How old is this chick?

Less than a week old. What's the naval and what's pasty but?

Pasty butt is where the poop blocks up ion the vent and they cant poop anymore. the vent is just under the tail. Under the vent going towards under their legs, is where the naval is. That is, the cord attached to the yolk during and right after hatching, similar to out own naval. If it gets infected, it easily kills a chick. All you should see is a tiny black dried looking thing, or black spot, or nothing. If you see large black or purple or any other weird color there and swelling, that's a problem.

Both of those look good. He jumped in the little waterer and got his legs and but wet. He is acting sickly but is still a little lively

He pooped just now and it was watery and white with a black spot in the middle almost like bird poop but really watery

Back
Top Bottom