SICK CAYUGA NOT EATING, EYES INFECTED (What do I do?)

Quackery

Hatching
Mar 8, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I live on a lagoon and I feed the ducks that come to my backyard. We're used to seeing a lot of mallards and duclairs, but recently a female cayuga and a female aylesbury duck showed up and have been eating and hanging out in our yard every day. We love them a lot and suspect that they were pets before someone irresponsibly let them go in the wild. As mating season approaches, the males are getting more aggressive and have been attacking the cayuga. She is missing a big patch of feathers on the back of her neck, she has a slight limp, one eye is foamy and the other is tearing up like crazy, and lately she hasn't been eating. We've managed to bring her inside in a puppy playpen at night and we keep her in a small chicken coup (she's she only bird in it) during the day. We called a local animal hospital and they said they can see her early Thursday (March 10th). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to help her or at least get her to eat until then? My mom and I have to hold her water bowl up to her to drink water but she is no longer eating the cracked corn we gave her before she got sick. This is the sweetest duck in the world and I hate to see her suffer.

Thanks!

Keep her warm and in a dark quiet area. Can you maybe make a paste (some organic apple sauce (only ingredient is apples) and a dab of a little yogurt (ive used organic grass fed mapple hills) aand mix together wirt some water and put some on the tip of his/her beak. Ive found calling rescues to help walk me thru things is very helpful. Ive called ruffle feathers bird rescue (they are a parrot rescue out in florida).

For my own eye (i had something in it) the doctors office had me rinse my eye out with saline solution. It didnt hurt.

Putting a prayer out for the little ducky and thank you for caring.

The bald patch on the back of her head probably means she has been mated with so if she dissapears its likely she will be nesting, im not sure anout the eye but the limp could likely be from the drake ontop of her while mating. I dont know about her not eating? Maybe if you let her in a big pen outside on grass she might eat some insects, you could also try giving her a swim to get her drinking she might drink water if shes swimming in it, my duckling likes drinking better when swimming.

Last edited:
Rinsing with a warm saline mixture will helo her eyes feel better. The vet will most likely give you some ointment for her eyes. Terramycin maybe. I hope you can bring the other Aylesbury in with her they do so much better if they are not alone. Do you have anything besides cracked corn? Poultry feed? Making her some soup using what feed you have might entice her to try and eat. What I mean by soup is mixing feed with warm water and making it soupy.

Back
Top Bottom