Sick chick/bleeding (prolapsed?) vent

Kerstiens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 30, 2013
I have a chick who started showing bloody stools two days ago. She is progressively getting quieter. It's all "gooey" around her vent now. I started her on CORID for coccidiosis two day ago (1 tablespoon in 1 gal. of water and the water is in their bowl and added to soften their food). I also gently washed the vent area several times and sprayed some EMT First Aid Spray on.

They are eating medicated chick feed from the feed store; Manna Pro is the brand I believe.

I had them for a week or so housed on wood chips; originally I thought the chick might have injested some and it caused the bleeding. I took the chips out - needless to say.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do for this baby? I thought I saw a little blood in the stool of another chick this morning... :-(

Thanks for any help.

She seems a bit young for coccidiosis, but I would complete the treatment for all of the chicks. Your dosage sounds too high. Liquid Corid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon, while the powder is 1-1 1/2 tsp per gallon. That is is a large looking vent prolapse, and could be a hernia instead/ Is there any pinkish red internal tissue hanging out as in the picture below? If not, perhaps it's a hernia. For a prolapse, you want to keep it clean, but as soon as possible lubricate the vent and push the tissue back inside. Place some honey, sugar or Preparation H ointment on the tissue to shrink it, and do not let the tissue dry out since it can die. New chicks with these problems many times don't live, but I hope you can help it. Here are some links to read:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
images

Yes,you are using too much amprolium.if you are adding medicated water to medicated feed stop. You can add medicated water to non-medicated feed or just give medicated water and medicated feed(without added medicated water).,

What is protruding from vent,is it prolapsed?

Last edited:
OK - I'll lower the amprolium dose. This chick is 3 weeks old tomorrow (it is a chocolate Bantam orpington). I just went and got some liquid witch hazel and some spray-on witch hazel. Should I be using a CREAM instead?

I also have aloe plants and can put on some of that gooey stuff.

Is there any reason to give an injection of TYLAN or add the oral Duramycin-10 (tetracycline)?

Yes - I believe this is a prolapsed vent (after reading on BYC); but since it is my first experience with this I cannot say 100%.

I will check out the URLs. Thank you both!

I would use honey or Preparation H. Those and sugar moistened will shrink the tissue, but you need to push it back in. The witch hazel may work, but the others may keep it lubricated. The longer it stays out, the more it swells, dries out, and can die. It is painful but must be done. It may keep coming out, which can be frustrating, but needs to be pushed back in until it stays. Chicks with this sometimes recover, but sometimes the intestines can come out, and then you would need to put the chick down.

Back
Top Bottom