Sick chick still sick--now I'M stressed

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
I'm not sure what to do about my poor chick at this point. (although it's probably not that serious and I'm stressing more than I need to be)

Quick background: Four chicks, 5 weeks old, these are my first. One started sneezing and had watery poo. No eye/beak discharge. We separated her, determined it wasn't the bedding or food dust. (Additional background: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1014687/sick-chick-am-i-doing-this-right)

We decided to give her Tylan 50 injections. She's the biggest of the four chicks but still only a little over a pound, so we gave her .25cc, once a day for four days. The last dose really seemed to knock her out--she seemed pretty lethargic. I was worried that the Tylan was too much for her, so we didn't do a fifth injection. Her symptoms had seemed to go away, anyway. Her last injection was Saturday night. We kept her separated Sunday and Monday, started giving probiotics and electrolytes in her water (and also in the other chicks' water). Last night (Monday) I was literally reaching in to put her back in with the other chicks when she sneezed, and she sneezed again (once) this morning. So she's still separated.

So now I don't know what to do. I'm leery of giving her more Tylan injections; she's still just a chick, and I'm afraid of overwhelming her with antibiotics. Should I continue to keep her separated? How long might it take for her to fight this off on her own? Is VetRx worth anything? Should I still consider antibiotics, maybe soluble?

(I wonder what I'm going to be like if/when they ever come down with something really serious...)

barnie.gif

If she has infectious bronchitis or another virus, the disease has to run it's course. Antibiotics only will help to prevent secondary infections from bacteria. IB will cause chickens to be carriers for up to a year, and chicks are more severely affected than older chickens. MG can look similar to IB, and it can make your flock carriers for life. Antibiotics may help the symptoms. Where did your chicks come from? MG can pass through the hatching egg to chicks, and if they have been around a farm where chickens are carriers, they can bring it with them. Respiratory diseases can show up in chicks around 2-4 weeks old. It would be a good thing to know which disease is present through testing. Here is a good article listing the common diseases in chickens and their symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If she has infectious bronchitis or another virus, the disease has to run it's course. Antibiotics only will help to prevent secondary infections from bacteria. IB will cause chickens to be carriers for up to a year, and chicks are more severely affected than older chickens. MG can look similar to IB, and it can make your flock carriers for life. Antibiotics may help the symptoms. Where did your chicks come from? MG can pass through the hatching egg to chicks, and if they have been around a farm where chickens are carriers, they can bring it with them. Respiratory diseases can show up in chicks around 2-4 weeks old. It would be a good thing to know which disease is present through testing. Here is a good article listing the common diseases in chickens and their symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Ok, thanks. I'm not sure that there's a vet around here who would do any testing, unfortunately, though I'll do some more digging around. It sounds like I probably just have to wait it out.

Oh, here's a question I just thought of, though: Is separation necessary if she's going to forever be a carrier? Or should I continue separation mainly for 1) I don't know for certain what she has and 2) it's easier for her to heal without other chicks around?

I got the chicks as day-olds from an online hatchery. They've been otherwise happy and healthy.

If it is only sneezing, no nasal or eye drainage, no chest rattles or wheezes, then I would probably put her back in with the others. Dust in feed or bedding, ammonia odor from droppings, poor air circulation, too much heat, and wet or moldy conditions can all cause sneezing or make it hard to fight off respiratory diseases.

If it is only sneezing, no nasal or eye drainage, no chest rattles or wheezes, then I would probably put her back in with the others. Dust in feed or bedding, ammonia odor from droppings, poor air circulation, too much heat, and wet or moldy conditions can all cause sneezing or make it hard to fight off respiratory diseases.
Thank you for the advice! I'm pretty sure it's just sneezing at this point. I'll pay close attention tonight before I decide to move her back in or not.

Have you checked her nostrils to see if they are clear? She may have some crud up there and the sneezing could just be her trying to force it out...
That's a good point. The nostrils can actually become blocked from feed sometimes, and it turns into concrete in extreme cases. Saline, peroxide, and tooth picks may be required to scrape it out.

Just an update: No sneezing, wheezing, or blocked nostrils in my chick, so I think she's back to normal! I put her back with the others last night.

Thank you again for all your advice!

Back
Top Bottom