Sick Chicken - Help Please

It could be any number of issues affecting your girl. If it is a crop issue,you will know shortly if her crop does not empty. Definitely keep her warm,i use hot water bottles(i fill them with boiling water,this will last for couple of hours,then refill)if you are not comfortable with using boiling water,fill with very hot water,wrap in a pillowcase and place beside her,she will either lay beside or even sit on bottle,if warm she will move away from bottle.

I agree with Katy,dying process may be setting in,but i have also see the same symptoms on a bird with a head injury(concussion)no physical wounds showing,just the symptoms. I also agree no baths on a sick bird and i personally would never vomit a bird in critical condition. Often you will see birds shutting down trying to conserve what little energy they have left,this is why heat is so very important.

Well of course the heat bulb was broken. I put her on a heating blanket set on low. I don't have hot water bottle. She seems pretty comfortable.

I have plans to go to my mom's for the night and most of tomorrow. I can't change my plans since she took the day off and no one will be home here. Should I leave the chicken with the blanket and water or should I bring her the two hours with me?

If she were mine I would take her, but I would do so knowing that the stress of the drive might kill her.

-Kathy

I might just go in the morning. I don't think she'll make it through the night. Should I give her anything? Baking soda or electrolites in the water?

I am so sorry. Many hugs to you and your hen.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom