Sick Chicken

Hello, I am having an issue that has been affecting my flock. Some of their backs are completly missing feathers. Another problem I have is I have lost three chickens to a random disease, they start standing out by not moving much and sleeping and then they just stop walking and die. I want to get to the bottom of this so the rest of my flock stays healthy.
Hello @3rdGenFarmer ,
I'm sorry you are having trouble. I suggest creating a new thread for your question.
Under each post there's a box "start a new thread" , just click on that and add your information.

In your thread give us more information about your flock, what you are feeding, photos, symptoms of the three you lost, any symptoms that your remaining birds exhibit, etc.
Any info you can give will be helpful.

Hello I have a new chicken that is less then a year old who suddenly started not being able to walk on her one leg. She seemed to be getting around okay until past two days. She won't eat or drink and just lays there. Her poop color is green. What should I do?

Hello I have a new chicken that is less then a year old who suddenly started not being able to walk on her one leg. She seemed to be getting around okay until past two days. She won't eat or drink and just lays there. Her poop color is green. What should I do?

Sorry your hen isn't doing well.Many diseases can cause paralysis such as Mareks,Nutritional deficiency ect.Green poop is a indication that there not eating and drinking.I would isolate her with food and water with poultry vitamins in her water.Offer eggs and tuna often.You might want to start crop feeding her if she inst drinking and eating.You can PM @casportpony for crop feeding advice.

How to crop feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited:
I have a sick chicken, she is lethargic off by herslef and her craw is almost empty. I lost 3 birds in the last year acting the same way. Her butt is nasty and just has no energy. I gave her some antibiotics in her water however she has been on a downward spiral all week. I have 12 hens and every time I lose one it's like loosing a friend. Any ideas what this could be?

I have a sick chicken, she is lethargic off by herslef and her craw is almost empty. I lost 3 birds in the last year acting the same way. Her butt is nasty and just has no energy. I gave her some antibiotics in her water however she has been on a downward spiral all week. I have 12 hens and every time I lose one it's like loosing a friend. Any ideas what this could be?
How old is she, and when did she last lay eggs? Older hens can get laying disorders such as egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. Can you feel of her breastbone to see if she has lost weight, then her lower belly to see if she has any fullness or masses felt there? Diarrhea, not wanting to walk much, and sleepiness can be additional signs. What antibiotic are you using? I would try to get her to eat some feed mixed with a lot of water and plain yogurt, and offer some chopped egg or canned tuna in water to coax her to eat and drink.

It looks like cocci, I picked up some medication this morning and put her by herself with medicate her water and food we will see how he is in the morning

You can get a fresh sample of her droppings checked locally by a vet for cocci and worms, even without taking her in. Her symptoms are common in a lot of illnesses. Let us know how she is doing. Most chickens will take a bit of chopped scrambled egg. If her feed does not contain probiotics, a tsp of yogurt daily will help her gut flora.

We had this same problem last year and lost two hens. They were bloody droppings in the henhouse and it appeared they were coming down with diarrhea. Everything I've read points towards cocci so I'm treating her for that once I get done I will give a preventative treatment to the entire flock

Back
Top Bottom