sick chicken

chickenrescuer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
I have a black sex linked chicken who is sick. She won't get up and is very tired. It is not a broken leg because she can walk just fine. Any ideas?

How old is she? Is she eating and drinking, and is she having any diarrhea? Has she been wormed recently? I would check her skin closely for any evidence of mites or lice, and their eggs. Can you feel of her keel or breast bone to see if she has lost weight?

She's about 8 months. She is having diarrhea which is sort of a green color. She was eating normally yesterday but I can feel today she hasn't eaten.

Green in the stools is usually from not eating, from bile. I would worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard (fenbendazole) Liquid Goat Wormer 1/2 ml and repeat in 10 days. And I think I would treat her with Corid (or amprollium) in the water for possible coccidiosis. Have you added any new birds recently? Also check inside her vent 1-2 inches for a stuck egg. Try offering her some water with electrolytes, and some scrambled egg until you can get the medicines.

Back
Top Bottom